What to do?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cacklingjackyl, Nov 29, 2004.

1. I recently bought a brand new Stingray 4 at a local shop for a very good price. I knew from the beginning that I would have to adjust to the thicker neck (my 1st bass was an Ibanez GSR200). I have been practicing scales, arpeggios, etc on the bass for about a month now and am getting alot more comfortable with it. The problem is that I find the Ibanez alot more playable. I feel my hands having to stretch alot more while playing the Ray. I am thinking of doing one of the following 2 things:

1) Continue playing the Ray until to see if I will continue to adapt to its size and feel, or

2) Sell the Ray and buy something like a used MM Sterling or a used Lakland Skyline 44-02 (or even 55-02).

For those of you out there that have experienced situations like this, do you think I am wasting my time w/ the Ray if I currently find it somewhat uncomforable, but gradually more and more playable? Or do you think I can continue to adapt (with the right practice regimen) to it until the point where the Ray is the bass for me?

Keep in mind that I play for a loud rock band, so the ability to cut through the mix is important. Also, I love the Stingray tone. However, I don't really think this will be a big deal with the replacement basses I've mentioned. I've heard I can get similar tones and more versatility w/ the Sterling and/or the Laklands.

Any advice?
  2. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Did you buy the Stingray from Martin Music? They take time getting used to. If you're not used to the size of a Stingray, and Lakland is going to be far more difficult. Go with a Sterling....or trade it to me for me Warwick.
  3. Why do you say the Lakland's will be more difficult? I just got back from Martin Music a few minutes ago and was playing around on a few Laklands. The necks seemed slimmer and faster than the Stingray's, at least to my hands.

I bought the Ray at Strings 'N Things.
  4. Give the Ray some more time. A month may be too short to get fully adjusted to the wider neck. It's used now anyways.
  5. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Well Lakland's are known for their wide necks. They're 44 and 55 series at least. I had a 55-01 I picked up at Martin during the summer, and the neck was a tree trunk. I'd say keep the Ray. You'll grow used to it, and that sound is just to die for. Plus, it looks like I'm going to end up buying another Lakland from Martin. Zach (the bass guy there) is trying to sell me a USA Lakland. Hmm.

6. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    You'll be a lot more comfortable on the neck of a Sterling, with its pencil-like Jazz dimensions. The Sterling sound isn't an exact match for a Stingray, more like a 4-string version of the Stingray 5, but to my ears it's actually a bit ballsier with a clearer midrange. Maybe try a few Sterlings and see what you think, and if you like it, maybe try to swing a trade for your Stingray, as they're more in demand than Sterlings and many shops would rather have a Stingray in stock than a Sterling.

Russ :bassist:
  7. kansas666

Sep 20, 2004
    I agree, give it some time. It took me a few weeks when I bought my Stingray. And I had the same doubts as you.

But this is the best bass I have ever owned. If you give up, you will regret it later. :crying:
  8. A bass you want to keep shouldn't take any getting used to, IMHO. If I pick up a bass and it doesn't feel like home, I put it back immediately. When I find something that feels better than the one I've got, it's out with the old and in with the new.
  9. Thanks for the advice and opinions. I think I'm going to give it more time. I really hate to part with now it and then be sorry I did later.

I will, in the meantime, try to get my hands on as many basses as I can to see what I may be missing. I'm going today at lunch to try a Sterling again.
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I know I have a problem when I think "pencil thin and fast" I think a P-bass neck. True ogre mits, I.
  11. fourstring44

Jul 22, 2003
    St. Louis
    I agree. If it doesn't feel at home now, I doubt it ever will. I've more than once wasted a lot o time trying to adjust to bass that didn't feel as good as I would like. There are so many options available these days, finding a bass that feels great and sounds great as well as looks great shouldn't be hard.