Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what to do???

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by pbass1, May 8, 2005.

1. pbass1

pbass1

Dec 8, 2004
    alright heres my problemo.....i am in a band with guitarist and drummer. both of them are lifelong friends. BUt lately theres been some bad happenings in terms of how we are getting along. one day my drummer tells me that my guitarist is going to replace me with another bassist. I already don't like the direction we're going in musicly. We are without a singer and i feel we are going no where. I really want my equipment back at my house rather than in the guitarist's bassment.

so should i stay and be un happy and get replaced....or leave and loose my best friends...but be able to start a new band.... :help:

what should i do?

2. NEver start bands with friends!

I'd make up some thing like my parents don't want me playing music with you guys anymore. Get out of it with style. If they don't want to be friends still, then you're better off.

3. I'd say cut em off at the pass.

Sit down with them, tell them this band isn't really working for you and you'd just rather go back to being friends. Wish em luck etc.

Don't let bad feelings come into the friendship due to a failed band. You'll probably be in many bands in your life so you should remember that these guys are first and foremost friends.

Go out and find a band thats doing what you wanna do. Later on down the track, the old band can open for you! ;)

4. I agree with southpaw...remember, just because you are leaving the band, doesn't mean you guys can't all still be pals. Just say something like "I don't think this band is right for me anymore. I just think you guys would be better off with someone else. But hey, let's still hang out and stuff." That way you don't have to wait for them to "let you go" or whatever.

5. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Yeah, all excellent advice. Also offer to help them find a replacement if needed. That shows you still care about them and the band.

6. pbass1

pbass1

Dec 8, 2004
    thanks, some good ideas.....

as i day dremed through math today i had a thought...maybe i could just give em the reasons you said...then tell them ill stick around until they find a new guy....

would that be nice or bad?

7. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    That would definitely not be bad. Being willing to stick around shows that you still care about your friends and their band even if you don't want to be a part of it.

8. pbass1

pbass1

Dec 8, 2004
    i successfuly got out of the band...we are still frinds :hyper: and i told them i shall stick around until they get a replacement....

i am currently thinking of a new line-up i got some ideas... :smug:

9. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'm still friends with some ex bandmates from High School. As a matter of fact I'm going to one's CD release party next week and they want me to do guest vocals on "2 Minutes to Midnight" :)

10. good work, Pbass. Sounds like you took a moment to think about how to do it right, then did it and it turned out well!

Just think too, now you have your mates and another band to get started = more muso's in your life!

Erm, thats a good thing....I think......

11. I'm in a band with two great friends, and although we suck, we don't have any drama. we just know we have to brush things up

12. pbass1

pbass1

Dec 8, 2004
    well good news...i broke it off and no one got pissed so its all good :smug: also, ive already started putting together another band...skaa :hyper: