Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to do

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xb100, Jul 7, 2005.

1. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Hey guys I need some help. I've got major GAS for some electric guitars and I'd like to get one. But I have to look at my roots, and my roots are bass.

I want to be a good musician, and I figured getting an electric would broaden my horizon, but I went to a couple music stores and looked at what they had then I went and looked at some basses, and I was like mmmMMMMmmm basses.

I know what the majority of everyone is going to say "Stick with bass!!" But idk, I got 600$ and 600$ can get me a haf way decent used bass or a really nice intermediate bass.

What do you think?

Guitar or Bass?

2. Aerolithe

Aerolithe

Jan 23, 2005
    Columbia, MO
    If you already have a decent bass a decent guitar would be a nice addition. The best bassist I know keeps a guitar around that he uses when he writes songs and stuff.

3. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Ya I've got 2 basses a 4string washburn and a 5 string jackson, both really good IMO.

4. i'll probably get killed for this, but i think having a guitar around is a nice change of pace sometimes

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'm a musician that concentrates in bass.

I've got Electric and Acoustic guitars, Piano / keyboards. I've owned and played Sax, Clarinet, Flute (plan on getting another soon). I'm thinking about picking up a mandolin

etc
    etc
    etc

Make Music!

For a little more than $600 you could pick up a matched set of MIM Fenders P & Tele, Jazz & Strat.... :bassist:

6. I'm with everyone thus far. I too am in the same boat looking for a used guitar to just mess around with, I have played guitar in the past and made the mistake of selling it. The more instruments you can succesfully play the more power to ya I say! haha

Jared

7. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Am a bass lover,my bass is my girlfriend but sometimes i cheating her with my extramarital...excuseme,my extramusical lover my acoustic guitar,i agree with my guys of TB, :bassist:

8. Why not a guitar? I write all my music on my Ovation Balladeer.

9. I have an ancient classical standing beside my couch that I use for noodling and writing and playing all the TV jingles that catch my ear. The wide string spacing allows me to continue fingerpicking (duh) and I don't have to deal with plugging stuff in and making too much noise late at night. There are plenty of cutaway acoustic/electric classicals in your price range that could be a lot of fun.

10. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I play baritone guitar in one of my bands, and have a blast doing it. I believe that playing different instruments keeps your mind musically agile and only improves your bass playing. The best music teacher I ever had was my classical guitar instructor in college. After taking lessons with him my ability on bass shot up big. I say get a guitar :D and see how learning it can apply to your bass playing.

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im thinking of getting an electric too since i often write the guitar part for my band.

12. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    I would get an acoustic, involves less gear and also if you get a goody, acoustic guitars just have a beautiful sound and vibe. It's a great change from bass and also great for song writing.

13. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    At various times I had a couple of guitars, baritone guitar, mandolin, mandola, mandocello, cello banjo, tenor banjo, cittern, probably a few other things I'm forgetting. Ended up selling them all off and keeping only my basses. The reason was that none of the other instruments ever got played outside the house because nobody ever says "hey, leave the bass at home and bring the banjo". Guitarists, especially, are a dime a dozen. So none of the other instruments really got played much and things got to the point where I could sightread a melody in treble clef and make it sound more convincing on my DB than I could on mandolin.

If you want to expand your horizons, save up another $600 or so and get a DB. Or maybe get a violoncello now. Or a piano. Anything but a guitar. Just my opinion, of course.

14. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I think you answered your own question.

15. TheNerdBass

TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
  16. Don't get a guitar...get a KEYBOARD....

YAMAHA DX-7's ROCK!

:bag: *hiding from Embellisher* :bag:

17. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    I started out playing guitar. Five years ago I crossed over to the "dark side." Now I am focused on bass; however, I own three acoustic guitars and an electric guitar. What am I??

18. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    USA
    I wonder if the SX geetars are as well thought of as the basses. You could get one of those and spend the rest on bass gear :D

19. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I too am itching for an electric guitar, why?

Songwriting, I keep a piano around, Hammond organ, usually have saxes, etc.

20. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada