1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what to do?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by FloydODB, Apr 4, 2006.

1. FloydODB

FloydODB

Apr 4, 2006
    hello evryone. srry, I'm a drummer and invaded your forum. lol
    read alot of threads and wanted to say evryone seams very nice. great forum!!
    so, too bad not evry bass player is nice. here's the problem
    our band keeps breaking up(over the last 5 years) and getting back together basically because our bassist is a pin head. he's still tokes, not as much as he use to, he's always late with some lame excuse, sometimes 30 min late for actuall gigs, he use to book us but now that he owes the booky money the booky wont book us or would book us at some hole. so one of the guitarist is running things now. recently found out he tried to undercut(go around) our booky and another band and now a regular club doesnt want to hire us caues he's in the band.
    I've......we've tried for years to audition new bass players but cant find what we need. good harmony vocals, lead vocals a plus, good improvisational skills, the willingness to play both rock and country. not tear jerking country but moddern rockabilly country rock stuff. as a band we're very versatile and almost willing to play anything at least once.
    we like to play at least 2 weekends a month but dont want to play evry single weekend of the year. some of us are family guys
    this stuff use to piss me off but no as long as it doesnt effect my personal life outside the band I'll just show up and jam until the next time
    so...........do any of you live near kalamzoo MI?

2. Man, sorry to hear your problems. Sounds like you are doing the right thing by finding another bass player. Good luck.

Read this in a book:

What is the difference between a drummer and a mutual fund?

A mutual fund will eventually mature and make money

*Rim shot* Crashhhhhh

3. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    If you do an advanced search for Kalamazoo you may find someone. Good luck!

How can you tell if the stage is level? The drummer is drooling out of both sides of his mouth!

Yeah man, welcome to the forum:D :D :D

4. Yeah - don't let the weakest link define your band. Lose him and get someone who is serious.

Ok, my turn...

What do you call someone who hangs around with musicians?

--- A drummer.

big hug! :D

5. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Sounds like you'd be better off without a bass player than with this guy... I've seen bands sequence the bass, and it works great for them.

How do you know when a drummer is at the door?

-- --The knocking starts speeding up, and he doesn't know when to come in.

6. Ibanezzer

Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    hey dude welcome to the forum!

Sucks about your bass player, sounds like a real loser. I don't have any suggestions but wish you the best of luck.

Later,
    David.

7. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Have you tried the online classifieds? This is definitely a good place to find bass players, too though. I'd also check Activebass.com, craigslist, etc.

I would definitely dump that loser though.

Sorry, I don't have any drummer jokes.

8. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    Get another bass player..............

How do you get the drummer off your porch?

Pay him for the pizza....

9. FloydODB

FloydODB

Apr 4, 2006
    thanks everybody!

I'll definitely keep looking for another.
    I do check some of the classified sights but it's hard living in such a rural area. talent is sparse and the measure of the talent is even worse.
    the good news is that a guy I know through work( he's brought work out to my boss) plays or use to play bass when he was younger. word has it he's toured overseas, can ad-lib, can sing and a down to earth fella. Now all I have to do is sucker .....I mean talk him in to playing again.

thanks again:hyper:

10. aarono

aarono

Feb 14, 2006
    Minnesota
    County's alright as long as it's not cry in your beer over your sister who left you for your 2nd cousin.

The Franzia is in my veins right now

11. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    I live down in Three Rivers, a bit south of Kazoo. I'm not really that into country music, but do you guys have any recorded songs that I could give a listen to, and see how I like it?

-Dash

12. FloydODB

FloydODB

Apr 4, 2006
    dam

we just played Dukes in mendon

I'll let you know where next.

funny thing, the leader and bass player agreed that some money would come out of his pay to pay the booky and he got pissy cause he felt the money should hit his hand first, instead the leader took the $25 out and said "well that's just the way it is , if you dont like it go start your own band" It was funny, prbly the highlight of the weekend.

13. OK, I expect a bit of a kicking for this, but it's only a stop-gap measure.

Could you find, and make use of, a keys player? Someone who can fill in those low frequencies, and also suppliment the cords. I'm just thinking that you could then start playing all the old venues again. Also, you'll either scare the current bassist into pulling his finger out or, not being quite so desperate to find someone, suddenly you'll be swimming in potential low-enders (you know how these things go). You can always keep the keys player on once you get a new bassist.

There really is no substitute for a bass player (except maybe a bass player who shows up on time), but I hate to hear of good bands not working, and it sounds like this guy needs to find out that you don't need him as much as he thinks you do.

All the best in your search.

Cheers

14. Floyd:

Life is too short to waste time with wankers. If you can't talk sense into the bass player, ditch him. Time wasted on dealing with fools is just that - wasted time.