Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What To Do?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Where's One?, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Okay, maybe this question is too open-ended but here goes anyhow. I am in the market for my second bass guitar (okay so far you are probably thinkin) but there seems to be sooo many different manufacturers around that I am totally confused as where to start. Does anybody have any particular recomendations? My current bass is a Washburn XB200 and I like to play funky and jazzy stuff. Any help offered is greatly appreciated.:confused: (Any comments on the Warwick FNA jazz 4 string? It looks alright to me. I live in the UK if that makes any difference to what is availabe.)

2. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Hey,welcome to Talkbass!Your gonna learn alot of stuff here,and yes,you will be addicted,finding yourself up to the early hours of the morning typing away(well atleast i do).

Well whats your price range?How long have you been playing?Since your asking for comments about a warwick,im guessing you have alot of money.I don't know much about UK prices,but here are some basses you should check out...

Fender MIA p-bass or jazz
    Fender MIM p-bass or jazz
    Rickenbacker 4001 or 4003
    Any warwicks
    Dean Markley

I think the fender p-bass or jazz MIA would be best,but dont listen to me,go out and try everything you can and buy what you like the best!

3. You haven't given your location, but if you're near a big city, get along and try as many as you can.

There's a Bass Centre in London, Manchester and Birmingham. Sound Control in Birmingham also seem to have quite a collection of Warwicks amongst others. (I've just bought a Fender Jazz there and found them very helpful)

Its a very personal thing. How you like the sound or the feel, but there are a few reputable companies to try out.

Fender, Musicman, Warwick, Rickenbacker, Wal, Alembic, Ibanez, Yamaha .... and many more. Your budget will be a deciding factor too.

4. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    It is :

don't ever look at the label. EVER, YA' HEAR!??!

Sorry for the shouting.:oops:

5. catwig1

catwig1

Mar 4, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Hi Where's One? Welcome to TB. It would be cool if you took a little time and filled out your profile. Then we would have more of an idea about what sort of sound you were looking for, influences and a rough idea about your location would make it easier to find local dealers for you.
    Don't pay too much attention to the US prices, basses are _much_ cheaper in the US and _much_ more available, e.g. Modulus, MTD, Conklin, Ken Smith, Lakland.... In the UK 2nd hand Wals can be found for good prices, Warwick are good value.
    Are you considering 2nd hand equipment? You can save alot of money and recoup if you sell the bass on. If you are, look in Loot (http://www.loot.co.uk) but if you are not near London then it may not help you - see what I mean about location:).

Matt

6. Thanks for all the help guys. This seems like a friendly & helpful message board.

Answering your questions:
    Well...it took me a while to find how to do it but I have filled in my profile catwig1.

I really like the sounds Victor Bailey has on 'LowBlow' if that helps. The cd liner says he used a Pensa-Suhr (sounds pretty expensive?) and it looks like it has two j pick-ups (I think), Does anybody know if this bass is comparable to anything else?

I'm in Nottinghamshire, England.

I would consider 2nd hand by the way.

(Price range upto around about £1100ish)