what to do?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by steve-o, May 20, 2002.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i have been playing for 8 months now.
    i hit a flat spot in learning.
    what can i do to make my playing more advance!!
    i really want to play for a living!!
    i am still going to college thou.
    as an electrical engineer.
    but anyway what can i do to help me achieve this goal!!
    i would love to do studio work so what can i do???

2. Practice everything. anything you can get your hands on try to learn. If you cant read music try to learn. If they offer a music theory class for non majors take it, it will help you enormously. If you can minor in music do it, thats what im doing. Try to establish certain excercises that you can do every day that you can work on for the rest of your life that will always help you improve. And, finally, use a metronome. One thing though, have a clear idea of what you want to do with music and set up a plan accordingly. I dont think I ever really learned that much on bass untill I started thinking for myself. I never had a teacher but It didnt stop me from learning. No doubt that teachers help but only you can make yourself a great musician. Another thing, you should deffinetley network yourself with other musicians who you most certainly learn from but who will aslo keep you inspired and motivated. Im sure other people on here will give you much better advice, but I hope this helps.
  3. Anytime I've seemed to plateau a little I just keep practicing and eventually I'll work my way through it. Maybe it's just me but I seem to improve in short spurts and it seems like there is no progress in between.
  4. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    if you want to do session work then learn to site read. You'll also have to be somewhat versatile, so learn as many different styles of music as you can..the more versatile you are, the better your odds are of getting a call for some work will be.

as far as getting over that flat spot in learning, what i do when that happens is i find something totally new, or something that Im weak with and focus on it a bit more. I'll even sometimes listen to a style of music that im very unfamiliar with and try and learn that as well.
  5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The deire to be a studio musician and the desire to be an engineer may not be compatible. I'm not saying this to be mean or a smart aleck. I'm saying this because BOTH careers are full time.

The demands of being a studio musician are not inconsequential. You need to be available at any time of day or night or weekends or holidays you are needed and for as long as needed. You can't get up just when things start hopping and say, "Oh, gotta go to my day job."

That said, while always being available to do studio gigs, you may find long dry spells when you have no studio gig. The studio bassist I know personally gives classes to make ends meet and plays in a few different bands in different styles of music. he is an excellent bassist and has been reviewed in Bass Player magazine, but even he hasn't made the A-list of studio bassists here. Instead he plays mostly demo gigs. It takes years to break into the A list.

The other way to go is to be a fulltime engineer and play part time in bands or private jam sessions. I know a doctor who gets together with several other docotors once a week for a private, fun jam. That's the only committment they have time to make. You could go one of those two routes.
  6. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Listen to something that you don't know how to play and learn it. It's kept me going for the last 17 years.