What to do?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ChaosGwar, May 28, 2002.

1. I have a Yamaha BBG5A, and as much as I liked it to start out with, I'm somewhat bored with it. I'm not really gettinginto the "jazz" type tone, and find myself grabbing my P basses instead. Sadly the Yamaha doesn't have the punch of my P basses. Other than the tone, I love this bass. It's light weight, fast neck, wide spacing, tight B, and gorgeous wood and finish. I'm just bored with the tone. It has too many highs and mids, and not nearly enough lows. It has great growl, but no punch. I can get a tone I somewhat like, but only through my EQ pedal.
    Is there anything I can do to change this bass and make it a little more desirable to play?

One idea that I have was converting from Jazz to humbuckers.
    this is the pup style I was thinking of.

The Yamaha Nathan East Sig.
    My bass is nearly identical to this one, with not as many knobs, and Jazz pups instead of the soapbars.

Here she is.

I've thoght about selling or trading it for something I might like more, but I'm not sure I want to part with it.
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    You could go with the mod that you suggested. Soapbars would certainly offer more thump and bottom end.

I would suggest a high quality preamp first. An active 3-band system like a Bartolini may be all you need to spice up this bass. If you are still left wanting after the new pre, you still have a killer new preamp to go with the new PUs that you want.

You may want to look into jazz shaped PUs that are designed for a more punchy, bassy tone like some of the Barts and Duncan's Basslines.

Jazz PUs and concentric pots will allow you to go anywhere you want without removing any wood from the bass or altering the body in any way. This gives you options in the future.

Routing for new PUs is a pretty extensive mod and is absolutely permanent. As a rule, you will never be able to recoup the costs of mods when selling or trading a bass and you never know when you may want or need to do just that. So, I always keep the stock stuff and remove the nice stuff before selling. I then have the option of putting it in another bass or selling it seperate.

3. The BBG5A doesn't have a preamp. It's advertised as active electronics, but there is no preamp, no battery compartment, nothing that wouls lead anyone to believe it is active. Although, it does have enough room to add a pre and some better pick ups. Would I have to make more holes for the preamp? I'd probably get a J-retro, so would that fit? Right now the pots are Tone, Bridge Volume, Neck volume.

What about the stacked humbuckers? They are Jazz style, but do they offer more bottom end than regular single coil Jazz pups?

That mod would probably be the last thing I'd do. It would get me the result I wanted, but it would kill the resale.

How are the Basslines 1/4 pounders for Jazz? I love the P bass ones. Are they available in 5 string?
  4. one word, 2 syllibles "U-Retro"