1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What to do?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Snakeman1066, Mar 15, 2009.

1. need some advice...

Ok, well the lead gui**** calls me today and tells me he is headed over to the practice sapce to get his gear! When i ask why he gives me some bull about wanting to play through his stack at home as his practice amp is solid state and just doesn't cut it....then breaks down and admits that he is basically just really unhappy with the band....he references the recording session from the night before (basically he doesn't like the singers ability or the way he handles the material) and if he remains singing for the band he is moving on.....(active in seeking a new band)

keep in mind we started as a bar band playing hard rock covers stuff like Theory of a Dead Man, Seether, Godsmack etc....and after adding this gui**** we slid into an originals Stoner/Doom/Sludge band.....

The Vocalist was never really a super stong vocalist anyway and doesn't really have the Front man thing going on....and is way more suited to doing soft rock, pop, top 40 stuff....

I get along with all of the guys and consider them friends, but the gui**** and i get along better than the rest, have more in common, on both the music level and the personal level. I wite most of the material but when i get stuck the gui**** always seems to know where i was going with the material.

so I'm really torn as to what i should do.....i want to be the nice guy and stick with the band, but i agree with the gui****....his vocals are not cutting it.....and quite a few people have asked us recently if he was having a bad night or if there was something wrong with the p.a., microphones etc....

I'm unsure where the drummer stands (as he is curently on vacation with the wife and kiddies)

I myself am a bit unhappy with the current situation, but am in the mind that a band band is than no band at all...?

and I hate being that guy that has to tell another guy he just isn't cutting it...because i have been on the other end of that discussion....I am reminded at times like this why i got out of he scene in the first place.....i figured it would be easier at 40.....and apparently nothing changes

at this point we are sending a copy of the recording session to the drummer to get his take on it, but i also don't want to ruin his spring break....

and to compound matters the vocalist just got laid off, his dad just died, and this is all he really has.

The guitarist and i are seeking out potential new bandmates on the side in the guise of a side project for now...

what would you guys do? in this situation......as i just want to play.....but i want to put out a product i can be proud of as well....

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

First, you might try not referring to the guitarist as a gui****.

If the vocalist isn't good enough, then deal with that. The band is a business, and you should treat it like that. There's business and there's friendship; don't try to mix them.

You are not responsible for improving the vocalist's mood after his layoff. Express your condolences and move on.

3. while it is indeed a business.....it's not all business.... plus he is a good friend which makes it difficult

but alas your advice is the same my wife gave

he's a gui****....I'm a Fish Slapper (bass...ha ha) all in good fun...

4. Skarekrough

Skarekrough

Aug 7, 2006
    In tough situations you can either tell others that you're not happy and work towards a resolution or you can walk away from it and make excuses.

Today's it that the vocalist isn't cutting it. Tomorrow it's going to be something else.

He needs to pull up his big boy pants and take some accountability for his own situation and work at it or he'll just wander from bad situation to bad situation coming to the conclusion to walk rather than work.

5. S Sanders

S Sanders

Feb 15, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    My advice would be to be upfront and honest about what you're thoughts are regarding the current state of the band. If you and the guitarist are unhappy with the band as it is then discuss it with the band. If it's the singer specifically, talk with him rather than looking for another project on the sly.

You say you consider all of your band mates friends. While running a band is a business matter, if you consider these guys friends they deserve honesty, even when the truth hurts.

While I have nothing but respect for wanting to produce a product you can be proud of, I would personally hold that same standard for my own behavior in my attempts to do so.

I apologize if this comes across as preachy or whatnot, it honestly wasn't intended as such.

6. blockinlay

blockinlay

Feb 21, 2009
    Phila Pa
    Treat your friends like you would like to be treated. Meet and talk out your issues. Anyone would rather have honesty than a back stabber. If it gets emotional and feelings are hurt, at least you were honest and forthcoming. Sounds like you want a new singer with frontman pipes and attitude for your kind of music. If the others want that, then this guy has to change and improve or he's out. After you talk, and he's willing, give him a chance to change his personality and improve. It's all about acting. If he still sucks, take a vote. JMHO

7. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    It sounds like you can either improve your band or keep your singer's feelings intact.

You need to decide which is more important to you.

8. looks like the handwriting is on the wall....

gui**** showed up today and snagged his gear....but did tell me that he has an audition for another band....and stated that if our current singer was going to continue to front the band he wasn't going to be our guitarist anymore....

can't vote as a group, the drummer won't be back until next week. He also stated that the singer called him today to vent about ME....apparently i'm a mini Hilter

so it looks like i looking for a new gig...

9. kurtwash

kurtwash

May 21, 2007
    Why wouldn't you just kick out the singer and keep the guitarist and the drummer, especially if you all like working together?

10. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    +1

Wait till the drummer gets back and talk to him. If he stands on the same grounds as you and your guitarist, then ask the singer to step out. If you've put any effort into the band, its worth saving instead of just quitting.

11. Let's see if I have this straight.

The gitard has trouble telling the truth unless pressed but wants to leave the band.

You sneak alongside the git when it suits you.

The frontman/vocalist can't cut it as a frontman/vocalist and has a problem with you.

The singer's can has a longer string than yours and is able to communicate with the drummer.

No electronic communication is permitted to allow for voting in band matters.

A show of hands on the 5th Thursday of the month during a full moon & 5 African swallows are required to vote.

Looks like a band to me...
    :rolleyes: :bag:

Start over. Maybe keep the drummer and the git if he can express his feelings a little better.

Seriously, good luck. :bassist:

12. I'm a bandleader of a cover band and have played in original bands. One thing I've learned is in working bands, nice guy only gets you so far.

So this is what I would do in your situation.

Sack the singer on the grounds he's not cutting it. I sacked my best mate from my band once. It sucked, and he's not my best mate anymore, but the band I started is better off for it and if he can't understand why he had to go and wants to blame me for hurting the friendship because he wasn't good enough to hang, that really is his problem.

Sack the guitarist on grounds of lying, deceit and holding the band to ransom with the "me or him" attitude.

Keep the drummer, and if he leaves, part on good terms in case you need to call him again.

Remember I'm in a cover band which is my part time business, so your view may differ to mine.

Best of luck.