1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What to do?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by stickytape706, Mar 24, 2009.

1. stickytape706

stickytape706

Aug 4, 2007
    About a month ago I see an add for a band on Clist and reply to it. The guys are cool and all and I audition and all goes well. A couple things I did not care for off the back was, lead singer is a female who honestly cant sing. Also, the style of music is not what I normally play but its decent. The day I joined another guitar player joined and him and I clicked very well and shared the same love for the same type of music. The other day I show up to practice and they tell me they let him go because he noodles too much and also he is bringing a diffrent style then what they want. Today I get a call from him and he wants to start something with me and another good friend of mine. Im debating on what to do, I would really like to go with him and do that thing but, I feel obligated to stick around for the other band since they are nice guys. We have been writing new stuff but the more and more I play it I have been getting quite bored as well as the singers voice is getting worse by the day. I just want to get peoples opinion on what they would do and no I really do not have the time to do both.

2. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    go with the better players.
    well, how hot is she, anyway?

3. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Ultimately, you need to go where your heart wants you to go - life is far too short.

4. stickytape706

stickytape706

Aug 4, 2007
    Well they are all great musicians so thats not the problem.... eh, shes cute but she needs to be complimented every 5 seconds and shes not that good looking...

5. CharlieDog

CharlieDog

May 29, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    The real question: is she single?

Nah, get out of there and have fun with what you do. There's no way I'd play music that I am "getting quite bored" with in that sort of situation.

6. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Quit the bad lady singer, stick with the good dude guitar player.

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    The guys aren't that cool. Since your're in the band, why didnt' they ask your opinion about whether to let the guitar player go or not? Seems to me you're kinda like a hired hand and less of a band member.

Try this: Record your rehearsal. Get everyone to listen to the recording. Suggest that they dump the girl singer because she can't sing very well. See how that goes.

I suggest you go with the guitar player. YMMV.

8. Time Consumer

Time Consumer

Jan 27, 2008
    Joliet Ill.
    Go where the heck u wanna go. I just quit a band i've been in for about 6 months for one of the reasons u state not wanting to be in the band with the chick. Im not into the music, I just wanted to play for fun, but now theres an opening in a band thats more my style, so im jumping at it.

9. stickytape706

stickytape706

Aug 4, 2007
    Ya it was kind of crazy because I show up and they are like we decided to kick him out. Sorry we didnt discuss it with you but is that ok? What else could I say but ya ok? Also, I got a text today from the bandleader sayin how we would practice later on in the week but they are going to go ahead and practice tomorrow and work on some new stuff... Im like *** shouldnt I be there? Not really worried about it though I have made up my mind.

10. You're with a band that has a singer with a bad voice, you dont like the music, they havent included you in a personnel changing descision, and you're bored. That decision is easy my friend. Good luck.

11. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    quit now, save both yourself and the band some trouble.

12. There's nothing worse to an audience than a bad singer - go with the other guy if you like what he's doing.

13. MAN! Follow your ears! If you get bored playing with this band, it's a bad sign. You're not only suffering because the singer is bad, but if you're bored and not expanding your horizons you can have better chances at getting stuck in some sort of rut. The longer you stick with these guys, the harder it might be to quit eventually.

Look at it this way, if you dread or even mildly resent going to band practice with these guys, that's sign number 1 that you're not happy jamming with them. If it feels like you are going in to a job you absolutely hate, then quit and find a job that challenges you and makes you happy.

14. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Son, Life is too short to play bad music :)

15. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Take the singer for a test drive then quit and go play with the other guitar player.

16. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Ah, have some fun with her before you quit (or get fired): Next time she butchers a tune, do a face-palm and go "jeeez". She'll ask "what?....what?" to which you respond "oh, nothing". Its a real confidence builder, trust me.

Riis

17. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    sorry but per TB rules...there is no female singer without pics!
    just sayin :)

18. Fretless1!

Fretless1!

Feb 19, 2007
    Ditto and

/thread

:bassist:

19. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    Life is too short to play with people your not crazy about playing with...

Hold out for what you want to do, just be as nice and honest as possible and try to honor any immediate commitments.

20. stickytape706

stickytape706

Aug 4, 2007
    Ill post up a pic of her a lil later when my girl is not around...