Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what to do?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by batmein, Sep 10, 2002.

1. batmein

batmein

Sep 10, 2002
    I have been playing fortwo years off and on when I find time. I have recently had a strong urge to get back to playing with the possibility of joining a band that a few friends have formed. I have a Ibanez SR 405 and use a Crate BX-100, I was never really thrilled with the sound. I was thinking of upgrading both, but going 4 string instead. The problem is, I have a tendency to go overboard sometimes. I like hardrock/metal and the band will probably play a hardrock/metal style. I like the sound of the bassist for Mudvayne, so I researched and found he uses a Warwick thumb bass. The price is up there, I have the money, thats not a problem. I was also looking at the Music Man Stingray 3EQ w/ piezo if possible, which costs less than the Warwick. Am I overdoing it here??

I was looking at either the Warwick Terminator or W-411 PRO cabinet enclosures..... overdoing it again? I guess I would need an amplifier head to go with that. I do the same thing with my computer, I tend to build the best I can and it ends up costing $5,000.

Any suggestions or better ideas? Or if you just want to call me an idiot (probably true).
    Thanks for reading. Any help appreciated. If you need more info, just ask.

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    If you are serious about it then get the best equipment that you can afford. It's not "overboard" it's smart. You will save more money in the long run if you don't have to keep replacing gear that doesn't cut it. Your sound and reputation is what will get you gigs.

3. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Turock said it just right. It is much cheaper in the long run to buy the equipment you really want instead of something less.

I also strongly suggest that you audition the equipment before you buy it. Much of a player's tone is in his hands and buying the same equipment as a player you admire will not be a sure way to get the tone you want.

One other piece of advice is that you can play a very powerful amp in a quiet setting and it will sound great. You cannot play a 200 watt amp in a loud band and sound great. I suggest that you buy an amp with 900 watts or more. I found a very big difference in response when I went from a 600 watt power amp to a 1000 watt power amp. My big rig has a 1600 watt power amp in it and really works great in large rooms or outdoor gigs.

Chuck