Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what to do

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ryan morris, Nov 4, 2002.

1. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ok, I've had this Engelhardt bass for over a year now...I got it from my old High School music instructor for giving lessons to a kid...he told me to keep it as long as I want or until he needs it back... Since I've had it for so long the thought of me not having it makes me a 'bit ill and I like playing it more than my electrics...so I want to shoot him an offer for it... The numbers are..ES-1 and 1912...it has a Tourte bridge and some real cheap K&K pu's on it...it's a little beat up..the strings are a little dead and the action is way high for me..a bit over5/8"...but i love this thing....and I want to get lessons asap so I don't learn anymore bad habbits...but...would $500 be a ridiculous offer for my friend...? Thanks, Ryan

2. jugband

jugband

Jan 16, 2001
    If he sold it to you at that price, rather than laughing at you, your conscience should bother you.

You're probably going to get answers from folks who are a LOT more knowledgeable about it than myself, but for NOW, I'd guess that three times that figure would probably be a bargain if it doesn't have anything seriously wrong with it.

The best price you'll get on a new Englehardt ES-1 is going to be about $1300 + shipping (about $150-$250). That's with someone having it drop-shipped directly from Engelhardt to you, with factory set-up, which is reputed to be "playable right out of the crate", but "More Playable after More Setup".

The "Supreme" series (ES-1 & ES-9) are their top-of-the-line basses. For an extra $100 you can get the ES-9, with a natural finish instead, same bass otherwise. www.music123.com will sell you an ES-1 for $1300, and at www.gollihur.com you can get one for the same or a similar price, both drop-shipped. Yours has probably had a couple hundred bucks worth of setup done on it, and probably plays/sounds a little better than a new one.

List on the ES-1 is $2445 (if anyone paid list price...)

I don't know what the "1912" signifies, though it certainly isn't the year of manufacture, since Engelhardt wasn't making basses in 1912.

They bought out Kay's bass production when Kay went out of business, which I think was late Sixties.

Maybe it's the ninetheen-hundred twelfth ES-1 that Englehardt built, after buying out Kay. :confused:

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Make an offer to replace it with a bass of similar value.

4. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, looks like I'm getting a second job...I still want to get propper lessons, set this thing up for some jazz and get some good pickups on her...