1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What to do!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Valiant Bandit, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Hey guys,

Well some of you guys know that my wife bought me a blue SX Standard Series Jazz Bass on eBay a few weeks ago. I fell in love with the way the bass sounds and plays...But guess what?

My cat knocked over this bass too (Just like my SPB) and BENT THE NECK!!! The neck is in rough shape so I just bought an SX 5er from an awesome dude on leftybassist.com . There's one problem - I need $110 to pay my car insurance and electric bill. My idea was to sell my blue SX at a pawn shop for $125 and that would cover those 2 bills until I get my sweet paycheck on the 21st. I got the offer of $125 today but I wanted to go home and think about it first...

I love this bass because my wife bought it for me for Christmas but I really, REALLY need the money so I'm thinking about pawning it until I get my paycheck on the 21st and I can just buy it back...
    I really want to keep it and just buy a neck eventually here since they're so cheap on eBay...I'll already have a bass so I can just wait for a slammin deal on a left handed bass neck.
    ...Thoughts? Do I have to pay interest on a Pawn like that? I mean it's only going to be for 2 weeks.

2. That's some cat. It's got neck bending powers.

3. nurnay

nurnay

Aug 21, 2010
    Chico, CA
    Sell the cat.

4. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Slight problem with said plan.

Pawn shops never look at places like Rondo where your wife bought that bass from they look it up on ebay and a bluebook of guitars sorta like the one they have for cars at a car lot. So they'll know you have at most (if the neck was pristine) a maybe $40 bass and that's if you sold it.

Pawn shops may not be the brightest but, they know what sells and they know noone will buy a bent neck bass if it doesn't say Fender or other valuable names on the headstock.

Still you need $125 do this find something else. Maybe your amp, a PA system, a couple speakers, a TV, or if your wife's cool with it your wedding ring.

The SX bass brand is known for being cheap (Affordable in other words) so why would a pawn shop give you $125 for something they can get new with a perfectly good neck for the same ammount of money?

ALSO: No matter what you will always be charged intrest for a pawn. You see this is how it works you give an item the pawn shop promises to hold it for you and gives you a little money now for everyday they hold it you get charged a percentage another way to look at it is a holding fee. Now say you don't pick the item up in time by law that item is theirs so they place it in inventory and stock it on their shelves for resell. However say you return to pick the item up you still have to pay intrest becaause you took up storage space in the Pawn shop.

Another way to look at it is this they pay you something you return to pick up said item and you pay nothing? That's how Pawn shops DON'T work.

Remember pawn by defenition is something used for another's gain.

5. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Explain "bent".

6. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Bent is not really the correct term but, it's the one I use.

Bent is when a neck either from abuse or neglect bows in a paticular direction.
    This is usually due to the trussrod inside the neck shifting and it is a very bad thing to happen.

7. I think he meant for the OP to explain 'bent'.

Rick B.

8. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    So use the correct term. Which is "bow." Conjugate it for the class: Bow, Bowed, Bowing.

:eyebrow:

And a cat... or even a spill off a stand put bow into a neck? Enough to counteract the force of the truss rod against the strings?

Yeah... That's why I asked OP to explain "bent"

9. elavate7

elavate7

Jul 8, 2009
    its all about "THE POCKET"
    i would pawn it, but the only problem would be that they will only give you like $40 for it. your better off trying to sell it on your own, but i dont know if you will be able to sell t in time......

10. I got an offer of $125 for it since I put Fender pickups in it with Fender pots and shielded the routing.

Yeah the neck has a slight bow...Something a luthier could fix, but even still some of the frets need to be sanded. I think I'm just gonna pawn it tomorrow and buy it back in 2 weeks because it was a Christmas present from my wife.

11. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    How can you tell the frets need leveling if the neck is bowed? Did you try adjusting the truss rod yourself? I'm still trying to picture this Supercat.

12. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Lets see pics of this bent neck and what you mean. Does it just need truss rod adjustment?

13. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Sell the cat.

14. jimmydean

jimmydean

Mar 14, 2009
    Sounds like the truss rod is loose . Tighten with Allen Wrench and your problem should be solved . Pass on the pawn idea , that wont get you any money and if the neck is really damaged , you will only get a squinty eye from the pawn guy .

15. streaky1a.

16. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I can die happy now, my life is complete.

17. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    don't sell something your woman bought you for Xmas, ever...trust me.

keep the bass, get a $40 setup - end of story. heck, its an SX...set it up yourself! why u wanna break your girl's heart like that?

"pawn the bass"...LOL how long you been married?

18. JZQuantum

JZQuantum Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Beat me to it....

Don't sell it or pawn it. You'll never hear the end of it. Eat ramen noodles, borrow $, sell blood if you have to.

19. Glad I could help.

20. meatwad

meatwad Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    +1000. Pawn or sell something that is valuable to YOU, since this bass obviously isn't. You really shouldn't have to ask this question, but since you did, you need to buy a clue about relationships. Remember, fun things can happen in the dark when your wife isn't pissed. :smug: