Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to do?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bobmouse, Aug 11, 2003.

1. Bobmouse

Bobmouse

Jan 13, 2003
    I have a choice between a lefty standard fender jazz bass, and a lefty Warwick rockbass corvette classic. What do I do?. I like them both but cant afford them both the fender is just over 400 pounds and the Warwick is 450. I need help.:meh:

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Id go with the warwick.

3. Bobmouse

Bobmouse

Jan 13, 2003
    Why?. do they offer more for the money?. I suppose it is active, any neck issue's wont be a problem because I have large hands.....Mmmm, still not sure.:D

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Because even though its rockbass, it still shares the warwick growl pretty much, and thats a good thing. DOnt get me wrong, i have a fender jazz and love it (unfrotunaltey have to sell it to afford new bass) but warwicks , IMO, are better.

5. Bobmouse

Bobmouse

Jan 13, 2003
    I have been playing for nearly ten years on and off now and all this time I have been using cheap Aria basses, I want a bass that I can use on stage, recording and just messing around on at home. And most importantly it has to sound good and beable to with stand the trials of life.:rolleyes: , Jazz bass or Rockbass.....if I get the Rockbass I'm covering up the ROCK BASS o nthe headstock it looks so cheesy.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Have you played both of them?

7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Thats one point, the other is build-quality. "Standard Jazz" most likely means made in Mexico - do i have to continue? :rolleyes: :D you can easily go wrong with one, and the electronics on many Fenders, to tell th truth, are messed up or have to be repaired often.

Rockbasses are made in Korea BUT supervised by Warwick officials. The electronics are the same as in the German-made basses (like my Corvette 6), so they are way better.

8. Bobmouse

Bobmouse

Jan 13, 2003
    I have played a Fender Jazz, I liked it but the neck was a bit to tight for me. Never played a Warwick but have herd good things about them. I'm unlucky I cant just walk into a shop pick up and play theese basses because I'm a lefty I have to make do with whats available to me, which is at the moment a jazz or a rockbass. I will be gigging shortly so i need to sort something out pretty quick, /i need to get comfortable playing with a new bass, alot like when you get a new girl;)

9. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX

You must be strong to lift a 400 pound bass.....

real strong....

:D

Just kidding. (although I have felt Fenders that seem like they weigh 400 pounds :))

I always preferred the Fender to the Warwick's.

Again, as always, the real question is which one do YOU like better....

Don

10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I know your pain, brotha!

and once again, get the Rockbass! ;)

11. Bobmouse

Bobmouse

Jan 13, 2003
    Well that is true, which do I like better. Well the thing is I am in two minds, I like playing primus style stuff whilst I'm on my own but when I get with a band I'm more traditional style bass player with a light peppering of something every now and again. I get so confused, all this has been going on for months now. I know I want a new bass, kinda rewarding myself for sticking at it for so long.:cool:.

Update, I have just mailed the bass centre (UK) to see if they have any Warwick Corvette standards in stock. think they are just under 800, its either that or the Jazz and the Rock bass but its getting stupid.:(

12. Bobmouse

Bobmouse

Jan 13, 2003
    Wee I have done it I have just ordered the Rock Bass, thank you for all your help. I cant wait to get stuck into my Warwick.:D