Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to expect.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Jan 27, 2003.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    How much sound difference would changing a standard bridge on a 62 ri mexi jazz to a badass II make.

Also who makes the best badass II

Thanks in advance.

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Uh, Who makes the best badass II? Probably the people that make the badass II..........

On a 62 MIM jazz bass? i'm not sure how stable the bridges were on Fenders that year. But i'm pretty sure that a badass 2 would be nothing but better?
    I personaly can't tell the tone diff unless your going from complete crap, to reall good stuff. but i'm sure it's a good move. Geddy Lee has a badass 2 bridge on all of his sig MIM jazz models.

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Generally you expect to improve sustain by moving to a heavier bridge. Some people will claim that the BA II bridge sucks tone out of the bass and others will claim that to be false. Gotoh also makes a fine replacement bridge for Fenders.

Personally, I like the Schaller bridges, but they are not a drop in replacements. They have a different mounting screw pattern.

4. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    Don't expect a world of difference. Imho the main advantage is that it is more stable - less rattles and the saddles stay put.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I've noticed enhanced sustain and I prefer the tone. Having written that, I just took the Leo Quan Badass II bridge off of my MIM P bass and I'm enjoying the sound of the stamped metal one.

I guess is all depends on whether you like the sound/feel of your bass with the stock bridge. If you do, keep it the way it is.

Both Quan and Gotoh have direct drop in bridges. You can try one out and if you don't like it, put the original bridge back on...they have the same hole pattern.

Try out an American Jazz bass with strings through the body. When I had the BA II on my MIM P it felt/sounded a lot like my MIA Hot Rodded P Bass, which is strung through the body. FWIW, both basses had the same strings (DR Hi Beams) and P pups (DiMarzio Will Power Middles) so it was pretty much apples to apples (except the MIA bass has graphite in the neck).

If you prefer the sustain/feel of the Am Jazz to your MIM '62 RI, then I'd recommend that you go with a BadAss II type bridge.

Have fun!!!