Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to get for $300?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bpm2000, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Hi, I am going to the store this weekend to take a look at some basses (this will be my first). I've limited my budget on the bass itself to $300 tops. I've looked around the internet for a bit and some models I was considering was the Ibanez gsr200, sr300dx, or look for a used MIM Fender Jazz... Any other recommendations in that pricerange?
    I havn't really been told much or seen much else besides "get fender, buy fender, etc..."

Thanks for the help.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, the Fender biz is because they are real work horses. Built solid, and they are cornerstones of tone. Most played basses for a reason. Plus, they are very easy to upgrade.

That said, I'm not down with Fender.

I'd look into a used Cort Curbow, which rule, some of the Peavey basses, the entry Yamaha's, both of which are severly underrated, and excellent axes. People just don't seem to get past the name. Which is a shame, because the Peavey's and Yammers are excellent products.

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Get a Fender.

4. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    those are terrible unless you upgrade em', no offense but those things are worse than squier

5. For $119 for a brand new bass, what do you expect?

I see a lot of your posts just flat out bashing entry level gear. You know, that is sometimes all that people can afford. When it is all you have, a cheap bass is better tha no bass, wouldn't you agree? :rolleyes:

The fact that essex and squiers are cheap and easily upgradeable is the best thing about them. I can buy an essex, get new pick ups, bridge, strings, j-retro pre, etc. and pay nearly the same amount as a stock MIM Jazz bass, and sound twice as good.

6. You'll be glad you did. I was/am.

7. thanks for the suggestions so far... one of the reasons I wanted the Ibanez was I was told they have a pretty thin neck, and I have small hands, so I don't think anything with a huge neck would suit. Do the ones suggested above/in the future have thin necks?

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, the Ibanez and the Cort Curbow are probably the slimmest of the ones sugessted.

9. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I'm curious what's so bad about them?

10. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Or you could buy a used DeArmond Pilot Deluxe for 300 bones.

11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    If you stick to a brand name (Fender, Ibanez, Dean, Cort, etc.), you'll do just fine. Play as many as you can, and you'll probably find one just feels better than the rest. Have fun looking, and good luck!

12. Fender is good advice for reasons already stated.
    The Jazz bass has a slim neck for your hands to enjoy, and the versatility of the tone controls will keep the novice happy while exploring the sonic universe. Good advice has been dispensed on Peavy already as well. Washburn has some models in your price range, but Bass Player mag usually rates them lower on constructino and sound, so be warned. If you check out bassplayer.com, try the article archives, as they have published a first-time buyer's guide article (how to shop, not a price & feature list) some years ago.

13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Used Carvin, Yamaha, Peavey.

14. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    bpm2000, before dumping the essex idea, do a search of the posts and pay attention to all the good things said about the jazz bass. That's theonly essex model I own so I don't know about the others. From my experience, as well as others on the board, i really have to wonder if Listen has actually ever seen or played one.

15. bpm2000,Although I am a Fender nut,I do believe that there are models available that will be good starter basses.One of my first was a Dean jammer and I liked it better than more expensive ones I owned later.I'd watch for sales and check out different models for personal playability(feel) and tonal control.People are right about names though,Fenders are expensive.But the mexican built(like mine) models are almost as good and cheaper than the American made models.As far as buying over the net or via catalog/mail;I dont have any experience there with the exception of that Dean jammer.I like to play and put a bass through some tests before I plunk down any cash.Try out as many in your price range as you can.

16. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I'm going to buck the trend and bring up Danelectro basses here. I think they're some of the best cheap basses out there.
    The DC or Hodad basses are quite versatile, light-weight, and have a nice semi-hollow tone. Got a real vibe going too, might be a little too funky looking for some...

The Longhorn reissue is an interesting one too, though it's shortscale.

I think they can fit into just about any genre. I've seen pro's using them all over the place. & I like 'em. Not for everyone, but worth checking out. Glue the strap buttons in tight, and you're ready to go...

17. Fender good!

Seriously, there are hundreds of used fender jazzes (I'm assuming you'd want a Jazz because of its slim neck) out there at great prices. And it is the easiest brand to find upgrades for. Half of the fun of and instrument is upgradding it! :D

18. thanks guys, i ended up with an Ibanez srx300. tried out some fenders and some other ones unknown to me as well, the srx felt/sounded the best to me. I would have gone with a fender but the one in my pricerange in their sale was a lefty only :(. They did have that:

"Or you could buy a used DeArmond Pilot Deluxe for 300 bones."

which I actually really liked but they had it for 399, which was out of my pricerange. It looked pretty sweet too...

again, thanks for the tips. Now I need to find me a cheap practice amp...

19. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Bummer... you could have bought MINE!!!