1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What to get, lefty, not many to pick from. Sterling ray 34?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rynb15, Aug 18, 2012.

1. rynb15

rynb15

Feb 5, 2011
    St.Louis
    My current bass is a mim fender jazz standard. I have had it for 6 years. I do like the guitar, but it just dosent have the tone, punch that i want. I thought about changing pickups, but i think i also just want another guitar to play. Time to move on. I really like the p bass, but they dont have a mim, only american. I would LOVE to have a mia but dont want to spend that much. Used ones are hard to find as well. So i have been looking at the sterling ray 34. I also love the tone of the EB stingrays, but leftys (if you can find one)are 1500 and up. I really like the look of the ray 34 as well. Now my problem is no guitars stores ever have leftys to try out. So i will have to order it and hope i like it. I guess im just looking for opinions here. Any other basses to check out? You right handed players have no idea how lucky you are to be able to pick a guitar and color of whatever you want! For less money! :spit:

2. bhunt1

bhunt1 Vintage Lefty Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Older than dirt ;)
    There are many more options for us lefties now than there were years ago. There are several hundred lefty basses on ebay right now in all price ranges. a few dealers to check out that carry alot of lefties are:

Adirondack Guitar
    Southpaw Guitars
    Drum City Guitarland

As for as brands of quality lefty basses, I like Carvin and G&L. Both companies make lefties of all their bass models for same price as righty. Also both are cheap used. Happy hunting.;)

3. spigmu

spigmu

Mar 25, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Look into a cheap, decent P, such as an Agile from Rondo, and put in a great pickup.

4. Kill righty!!! (saw that on a t-shirt once :D) Carvin makes lefties at no charge I think. So does Wick - I wonder about rockbass, I was very impressed w the one I played and it was reasonably priced. There's always building parts basses too

You're right though - tough road buying an axe for lefties... it must really suck

5. spigmu

spigmu

Mar 25, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
  6. belimad

belimad

Mar 2, 2011
    London, UK
    Check leftybassist.com Always interesting selection of used lefties going on.
    There's currently a used mia j bass deluxe for 700 or so IIRC

7. spigmu

spigmu

Mar 25, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    The classifieds right here are great. I forgot what the levels are, but you need to be a supporting member to see and use them, so maybe they're not showing up for you? If not you should definitely subscribe and check out lefties here.

OTOH, I see that you're in St.L and my lefty craigslist macros, when expended out to your area brought this in,

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/3195421511.html

which is a cheap Fender Squier, which may be total garbage (if it's recent) or may be great (if a few years old). A new pickup in one of these, if it's ok, might do the trick : )

8. cliff em all

cliff em all

Jul 6, 2012
    im a lefty but knowing how hard it would be to find bassses i learned righty

9. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Agreed, I've tried dealing with Southpaw, but when I'd talk to the guys there, I got a feeling like they weren't being completely honest about the instruments I was interested in. That being said, the Modulus I did buy there was wonderful......I guess I just prefer dealing with a store that's less than an hour's drive away.

Anyway, LeftyBassist.com is a place you can find used stuff at.

One last thing, if you want punch, look for a lefty ATK. They're great.

10. If you want a lefty bass which can have punch, and can cover all genres, and be mild mannered also, look no further than a Stingray - you would not need another bass.

Used lefty Rays crop up occassionally - or you could buy a new SBMM, which will get largely the same sound.

I know this because my son is a lefty and has never needed another bass since getting a used Ray (it's white - looks awesome and sounds fabulous). He started with a cheap P bass. If you've been playing a Jazz you ought to try a Ray before committing to buying as they have a wider neck than a Jazz.

11. tedesco23

tedesco23

May 12, 2010
    Evansville, WI
    Another lefty here. I played Carvins (I have two of them) for almost 20 years, and I recommend them highly. I picked up a Ray34 last year (on leftybassist.com) and, like pretty much *every* review says, they're amazing basses: they capture that Stingray sound at a much lower cost. While it's a bit heavier than my Carvins, I've moved over to the Ray as my main bass since the purchase.

I understand the risk involved in buying a bass without playing it--it comes with being a lefty, I guess. All you can do is look up as many reviews as possible (including video reviews), and it doesn't hurt to go and see a righty at a store, if only to get a sense of details like the neck profile. From my perspective, at least, I'm a lefty like you who was looking for the exact same thing as you, I picked up a Ray34, and I've been thrilled with it. Good luck!

12. Passive Jay

Passive Jay

Aug 17, 2012
    I love my Sterling ray 34 but I just started playing so my opinion probably does not mean much.

13. cangaroo

cangaroo

Aug 13, 2009
    Currently there is a lot of options for us lefties. Anyway the fact that i'm often forced to buy from the internet without trying first pisses me off, and if i could get back i'd learned as a righty for sure.