Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to get next

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by The Chancellor, Feb 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My setup is as follows:

Warwick Streamer Standard
    Peavey Microbass

I solely play at home, don't really see myself playing out in the near future so I don't really need a bigger or better amp. But I want something to make my sound tighter and also to funk it up a bit. I don't know what you'd call the music I play; I guess its kinda like party music, no vocals or anything, just 'get your groove on' type stuff.
    I was thinking of going for some type of comp and maybe an env. filter or phaser. Maybe someone could throw me some advice?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

More power/more/better amp.

I know that's not what you want to hear. But pedals are just illusions that mask the shortcomings of the amp's weaknesses. If all we had to do was buy a pedal or two to fool people, the better amp makers would be making exercise machines for a living.

If you ignore that, try an Akai Deep Impact or Mutron to funk up your sound. Nonetheless, it will still have to come out of the same, disappointing, speaker.

I've been at it for decades, and there are no shortcuts to bone tone.

3. I have a Zoom 506 pedal. It's probably the best bang for the buck as far as the number of effects you get. I think it's got about 33, and then you can link them. Some of the sounds are completely worthless as far as I'm concerned, and some of them seem redundant.
    I use about 4 or 5 of the patches. I think they're going for about $50 U.S.

I also have a Boss phaser and a flanger. Single, analog effects are much better than digital IMHO. You can check them out here, but, most of them are demonstrated on guitar so you have to use a little imagination.

www.bossus.com

Good luck.

Mike

4. Yeah :)

Advice : use the search button, and discover the large collection of similar questions :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.