1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What to get? ...PU's and Preamp for MTD Heir 4

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ubado, Jun 2, 2007.

1. ubado

ubado

Mar 7, 2007
    FL
    Just gotta MTD Heir 4 and it's already time to start tinkering. :p

Pickups: This time I'm stuck on what to do. I've been a long time fan of EMG's and Barts. Usually in PJ or JJ setups. This is my first MM style pickup....I do like the "dark" sound of Barts and am not looking for the EMG sound. Seems that Nordstrands are the flavor or the week now... What might go well?

Preamp (the first of my upgrades): I've had Bart pre's in many of my basses...currently have one in a Guild Pilot Advanced and one in my Peavey TL-6 Hot Rod. I've had an Aggie OBP-1 in a Pilot, but it just sounded LOUD! :eek: Not looking for the EMG BTS thing. It seems that Aggies are the the choice for many...What might go well.

If this helps...my style is a lot of thumb work...and many blues scale bassed lines.

:bag: :help:

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

In my experience there's been 3 basic MM tones I've run across: Bart/LP; ceramic, Alnico 5.

Had a Nord 4.2 and it sounded like other alnico 5's I had which is the original EB MM tone. However, Nord makes a 4.4 quad so you'd have humcanceling if you split the pup.

To me, with few exceptions, the Bart, Aggie, EMG pres sounded enough alike to where it was splitting hairs. So choice would be due to factors unrelated to tone.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 20, 2021