1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What to get this tone!?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by benagainnn, Apr 26, 2009.

1. benagainnn

benagainnn

Feb 6, 2009
    Montreal
    Hi all,

I know there is many thread on him. Yeah Chris Wolstenholme. But this is not a really known song from muse. I think he's not using a svt cranked up in max to get this tone.

The link for the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXo2gnualsU

Thanks,
    Ben.

2. Chris got his distorted sound on the first three albums using Pedualla basses and an EHX big muff, blended with his clean tone. But when I owned a Big Muff, even experimenting with blending, I couldn't nail this gnarly tone he gets here. I guess having an active bass and knowing your way around it's EQ would help.

3. benagainnn

benagainnn

Feb 6, 2009
    Montreal
    I got an active bass : stingray 5. For the muff, i got it too. I'm about to buy the blender soon but if it is another opportunity to get his tone on that song, I'll be very happy!

4. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The hard-to-find effect of studio magic.

5. Indeed. :meh: I'm seriously considering buying a 32 band EQ right now because I'm so close to getting "the tone in my head", but I'm not quite there. :(

6. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Not saying this happend here but:
    Had a live cut on a compilation record once where the bass tone wasn't that great.
    Went back to the studio and recut the bass track.
    For that matter, it can be done with an entire song so long as their are no video close ups.
    FWIW, I've heard a simliar tone with an old Pbass, roundwounds, a pick and a tube amp.

Don't ask about the time we cut a "live record" in a rehearsal hall and then dubbed in applause, crowd noise, etc. Just to be a smart ass I used a touch of woodstock in the applause bed.

7. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    On MuseWiki it has all of his effects, basses, and past effects and basses.

Im peronally getting a Big Bass Muff to try and get his tone. But I just want to get close, not perfect.

8. Jimbob's on the right track, but he also used an OS-2, which was probably the source of the "grind" you hear.

Also, he didn't get his first Pedulla until 2000. He was using generic budget instruments back in Showbiz/b-sides of said album days.