what to get what to get...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jobu3, Jul 23, 2002.

1. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i will be entering the real world upon completion of my master's degree. with my first 3 checks i don't plan on moving out of my parents house or putting a down payment on a reliable automobile, instead i plan on getting a new head and cab. i play primarily blues/classic rock. i love overdrive so i don't need hi-fi. i hate ampeg, and do not need o.d. on the amp. i am thinking swr sm900 or eden wt800. i like swr stuff but am willing to go completey different. i don't want to ever need another head. i will probably get a bergantino 212 or 115/210... i don't want transparent sounds i like a meatier grunt. i plan on driving around to try different ones so i need to know what i should look for... i want a tube preamp in it as well... i like the aguilar sound (db750) its got more meat than i thought it would, but i don't know if o.d. will sound good with that head either... back to the swr and eden: i like swr but want something a little meatier (i have never played a 900) but i like that it has 2 channels...help me out here guys, thanks!!!
  2. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i'd probably go aguilar, mesa or eden for the head. not swr - it'd be too clean and hi-fi for you.

or! get a vintage SVT head or mesa 400+ and run it thru newer cleaner cabs like a Megoliath or a pair of Aguilar cabs.
  3. How about something totally off the wall?

I use a Sansamp PSA-1 overdrive preamp, going into an ARt levellar and on to a Soundtech PS802 digital power amp. the Soundtech chucks out 400 Watts per channel into 4 Ohms and is only 1U. Throw a tuner into the mix and you have a seriously versatile MIDI capable stereo rig that fits in a 4U rack and is light enough for your wife/girlfriend/same sex life partner to cart around for you.

You could either run it mono (800W into 8 Ohms) or stereo. You could pick up an active crossover too and get an 18" in there for some real sub.

It wouldn't break the bank either. Check out the soudtech and tech 21 sites for some more info