what to get?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thetaurus, Dec 9, 2002.

1. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    so i know this has been beaten to death, and i've already searched, but haven't been able to find a solid answer. in all my posts, i pretty much tell my gear. svp pro, qsc rmx 850, peavey 810, mia jazz, and i play in rock bands.

i need new tubes for my svp. i basically have it narrowed down to the sovtek 12ax7lps, or electro-harmonix 12ax7. which are going to sound more balanced, smooth, and less distorted. also, which would last longer. i've heard about problems with the lps dying early. what do you all think?
  2. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    While different tubes can provide minor differences in sound in some applications, I highly doubt that you will even notice a difference when playing bass guitar live. Buy whatever is reasonably priced and easily available.
  3. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I bought a Ruby 12ax7 recently from a local shop to put in my Eden WT 300. It's perfectly fine. I think there are only 2 or 3 manufacturers who actually make the damn things. 12ax7's won't vary that greatly from one to the next. The only thing you really have to watch for is lifespan. Any tube can have an infant mortality rate. Pop it in and it goes boom (not literally). But, it might be bad from the start. That's a risk you take when buying tubes. Just buy one.