Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to Learn

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Lady Jayde, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Lady Jayde

Lady Jayde

Jul 17, 2002
    Florida
    I'm in the process of learning bass guitar and acoustic. The acoustic is my summer project. And i was looking for tabs that i could play on both the acoustic and on my bass.
    I was told that "Smoke On The Water" was good to learn for acoustic and had a good bass line.
    If you guys have any input please send it to me.
    Lady Jayde

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Well, the best suggestion I would personally have is to ignore tabs, if you're trying to learn. PM if you have any questions as to why.

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

By "acoustic" do you mean acoustic upright bass or acoustic guitar? If you mean acoustic upright, I feel that learning to read music would be preferable to reading tab. A far greater selection of music for double bass is written in standard notation than tab, primarly because upright basses are so often employed for orchestra music and jazz, neither of which use tab to any appreciable degree.

If you mean acoustic guitar, guitar tabs that you encounter for guitar can serve as guides to creating basslines because they have the chords and show the song's structure.

One I could suggest, if you insist on tab, would be Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters." I know that tablature exists for both the guitar parts and the bass part, but you may have to search for both as they don't come in the same tab, but separately.

Other music you might try to find is tab to songs by Jewel and the song "What if God Was One of Us?" Songs by "Hootie and the BlowFish" also lend themselves to acoustic playing.

Oh, one other one is "The Cat's in the Cradle" by Ugly Kid Joe or the original version by Harry Chapin? (I'm not sure.) Actually there are many appropriate songs. Check a song book written for acoustic guitar.

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    ok, not to sound rude, but this is what the new tabz forum is for. :D