Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to look for in a bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Samie, Aug 20, 2001.

1. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    Ok, I going to start playing live again after 3+ years of recording/producing/studying. It has been quite productive and I now play 10 times better than before, got a better a bass which is set up perfectly for my playing.

Now I want to get a bass amp. I thought I didn't want a combo, but some of the new combos sound quite good.

I can get my sound from any half decent bass amp expensive or cheap. I will play with many different people and many styles but just backing up, nothing fancy. A Nathan East kind of sound.

so what to look for.

1) features like, fx loop, speaker out, xlr

2) portability

3) reputaion

4) volume

What other things should I look for?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I prefer amps to have very large knobs. Especially the volume. The shinier the better. chrome is ideal. Lots of little lights are cool too when it is sitting on a dark stage. Lastly, if it has the word "deluxe" printed on it anywhere, it is an added bonus.

Not to take your post lightly, but is appears you already have a pretty good idea of how to go about buying an amp.

Most importantly, play through it. if you like it, buy it.

3. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    but I don't. 15 years playing never had an amp(well maybe when I started).

I have always borrowed or used which over was there. Always sounded good to me. Big bigs always had great PA. Small gigs, any amp does a decent job. Strange, never had a problem.

Even(temporary meausure) now using 2 event 2020bas, one on top of the other. It sounds great(says the drumer). Maybe it just me

Dont know, I am going to run to the store right now and check some more.

checked a 250 laney 15" combo. sounded great. I checked a genzbenz 250 2x10 sounded great. I checked some 350 and 400 which almost always sound great.

oh well... I will keep looking

4. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    Great!! problem solved, I dont need to decide ... I can have it all.

Here it is ashdown abm c110-300

This baby has is all, great sound, portability, features, reputation, expandibility. Great!! a truly profesional amp for urban bassplayers on the run.

You can hook it up with a 15" or 4x10" or 2x10" cabinet if you need extra volume.

You can carry it from one side of town to another without having brake your back(from gig/rehersal to gig/rehersal) . I can go in the subway with it and the bass.

Since it is pro quality you can use it to record or as DI for large gigs.

The price is right. it is a european company. No high dollar syndrome!!! finally

warning, headbangers might not like it much

Here is a review

http://www.steve-lawson.co.uk/abmmag.htm

here is the site

www.ashdownmusic.co.uk

5. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    the number one you need to look for on an amp is if it has an oversized HST GONZO symbol carved in the back of it.