Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what to look for in a double bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Peccavi, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Peccavi

Peccavi

Dec 24, 2003
    Jonas, pa
    i am new to upright bass and was wondering what to look for when buying a bass? like what is good as in woods, construction, etc..
    i am looking around and have no idea what i am reading about.
    any help would be awesome.

thanks, MO

2. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    See the newbie links at the top of the page.

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    You might be limited to choice by your location. What type of budget do you have for your First D.Bass? Do you have a professional D.Bass teacher? What type of music will you be playing with this as well?

These are some basic questions to help make your choice easier.

4. Info like Ken mentions is very important. Especially price. Laminated (cheaper, not as good), carved (better, more expensive)
    See the thread below on Arnolds New Standards.

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Money or lottery tickets.

6. I didn't want to be the 1st.

Buried treasure. There are dust bunnies in mine.

7. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Yup, money was actually the first thing that came to my mind as well.. But, I decided to help the guy.. Jokes come after..lol

8. Ken, there IS money in some of the basses I've seen you post.

9. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    actually ken doesn't have a bank account he just keeps his cash stored inside his basses....Oops. Did i say that ? :)

10. Peccavi

Peccavi

Dec 24, 2003
    Jonas, pa
    yeah there is no limit but i am not looking to buy an awesome one frist time around. also no teacher yet i have been playing electric for a little over 6 years now and want to give it a try and get use to it before i get a teacher. i have played one before and can get around. i would probably get a laminated one though for right now or maybe a eub.

mo

11. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Unless you are already familiar with a "proper" technique I would recommend getting some basic pointers before you "get used to the bass"..You don't want to have to unlearn any bad habits, or hurt yourself...think of it like drawing a line with the point of a stick in the sand, the longer you keep going in the same direction,the harder it to change change that direction..

12. You should maybe reverse the order and get the teacher first. This ain't no ukelele;- what you aspire to play.
    Sort of like saying, I'll get used to the tractor-trailer and then get someone to show me how to operate a clutch. Shouldn't be a problem since I've been shifting a 10-speed bicycle for six years.... ;)

You know that you have to get a special license to play one, don't you? Some of the sellers won't tell you that, but trust me it is in the fine print. ;)