Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to look for in a used RIC?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wdinc01, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Okay so I'm going to try and convince a guy I know through someone else to sell me his Rickenbacker. I'm not sure if it's a 4001 or a 4003 (my guess it's a 4003). Assuming I succeed in getting it down to a good price (my aim is $500, since it's not exactly in mint condition). Can someone tell me some things I should look for that may be a sign to not get it?

Firstly there's stickers all over it. Not that that's a problem. I can just take them off, but I was gonna point that out as a reason not to give me a high price. Secondly the binding looks like it's sorta...fading I guess is the term I'll use. Thirdly the pick up at the neck looks like it has rust on it. But I'm pretty sure I can replace that (if someone can point me to a place to look for replacement pick ups). Also the switch seemed like it was broken, but I'm not exactly sure what it's suppose to do. See when I used this bass I was jamming inside of a small green shack (dubbed 'The Green Shack', although it's blue on the inside) with my two bandmates and a guy I might be getting bass lessons from. Now of course I was estatic to actually use the RIC (because I just think they're the most awesome bass ever). Anyway, I had earplugs in so I don't end up being deaf, and if I remember correct, which I moved the switch up, it just sorta turned off the bass. Like I didn't hear anything coming out of it, but I'll surely check on that.

So anyway, things to look for, and if possible a place to get replacement parts if need be. I PRAY that I can actually get this thing.

2. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    $500 is a really low price for a Ric that's not trashed...if you get that price, be happy. The switch is a pickup selector switch. Make sure you're plugged in to the normal output (not the Ric-O-sound), have both volumes up and try it again. There should be a good amount of bass in the up position, as that's the neck pickup (middle both, bottom bridge pickup) If it plays fine (and neck is OK), you're good to go. If pots are a bit scratchy, give it some canned air when you're cleaning it up.

*I know it's not my bass but...don't replace the neck pickup, please. A little rust is no biggie and it should be fine as is. :)

Marshall

3. Well I didn't really want to, because that would probably cost me alot more money. But is there a way to get rid of the rust?

4. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    +1. $500 is a really low price for a used Ric.

5. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    You could use a Dobie cleaning pad, which won't be messy like steel wool. It happens to most Rics that get played. Too bad there's no such thing as black white-out.

Marshall

6. Wow, you guys just know how to crush my dreams. Thank you very much.

7. yea i would go for it, $500 bucks for a ric is cheap, used or not. Your most likly not going to have to but in another $400-500 to fix everything you think is wrong with it, so in the end your probabily going to wide up saving.

i would defiantly say to go for it.

8. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    that would be an amazing deal $500 for a Ric.