1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What to look for when "new" used amp arrives from UPS/FEDEX?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by titanbandman, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Hello -

I finally found my dream amp at a price I could afford...a good old SWR Super Redhead. As I unpack this for the first time and play it, what are things I should watch for? Obviously, things like "does it make any strange sounds?", etc. are something that I hope to notice right away... Should I pull any covers and look at wiring? Look for cracks/breaks in cones? Just play it until something appears wrong? Tubes? - what to look for? This is a pretty common amp or at least brand, so hopefully there is some advice out there.

Obviously when you buy a used car, it's smart to have a trusted mechanic go through it first. I rolled the dice and have to trust the word of the person I purchased it from. Tech and electronic guys - what should I look for?

2. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    The first thing to do is examine the packaging for any obvious damage that may have occured during shipping, i.e. holes in the box, crushed corners, etc. Next, open the package and examine the combo itself for any signs of damage. If everything looks good, plug her in and play. If the combo sounds good, you're probably fine. The SWR Super Redhead is a pretty durable unit, so I wouldn't worry to much about taking it to a tech, unless you notice something amiss while playing through it, i.e. the unit distorting, not putting out the appropriate volume, running unusually hot, etc. Hope this helps a little. Enjoy your new combo!