What to look for when testing an amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metallicarules, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Hey, I'm going to check out a used amp tonight and I was just wondering if anyone has any specific things I should check before I buy it. My main requirement is that the thing is in good working order, so I just want to make sure that I don't miss some hidden problem with the amp.

It is a 200watt Yorkville 15" combo that I am planning on using to jam in the basement with friends and nothing more.
  2. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I'd turn every knob on the amp all the way up and down (careful with the volume) to see that they have some effect and aren't too noisy. Turn it up to where you will most likely play and see if it rumbles or rattles (might be a loose grill or something). Don't pay attention to the name or condition (unless the speaker has a hole in it) just listen and see if you like the sound. Play for a while with all combinations of tone and volume. If something is out of place, but you still like the amp, you can use that to talk the price down (cosmetics too).:p
  3. Try to keep the EQ as flat as possible. If you like the tone, go for it. It a yorkville so its not that expensive. 200 watts is a fair amount of power and I've heard good things about YV
  4. Well, I was so anxious I already bought it without testing it out as well as a should have. Now I realize that I really dislike the way it sounds so I'm going to try and sell it to someone else and keep looking for something better. I feel like such an idiot, but I learned my lesson. Thanks anyway.
  5. I was looking for bad remarks on yorkville gear. I was very skeptical about their cabs and how Jazz Ad always rants and raves about them;). I just need something with a good low B and if that combo bottoms out on the E string, that's a sign of something fishy. Could be that the previous owner pushed it too hard for what it was meant for.:meh:

I need to check them out for myself though.
  6. Yorkville might be alright, but I don't think mine is working as well as it should be. It sounds pretty good through headphones, but I've heard that most people like their heads, but some have complaints about the speaker cabinets. I get too much of a buzz at low volumes although it isn't that noticeable with a little bit of background noise. I guess when someone comes to look at it I'll run the dishwasher while they play :D. I bet it would sound alright with a band but I still don't think I'll ever be happy with it so hopefully someone else will.
  7. If it looks like crap, it probably is. If it has been beaten around a lot than the former owner didn't care much about it and probably played it just as hard. If it looks like normal wear then turn it on and play through it. Make sure all the controls work like they should. Listen for any buzzes or rattles. Buzzes and rattles are tell signs of either bad electronics or warn speakers. In other words, if it looks good and sounds good, then it is good. jmho.