Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to look for when trying an amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tallguybcs, Mar 29, 2001.

1. Im going to try out a peavey amp tomorrow, Im thinking its combo 300, im not sure. What should I look for to make sure its a solid, dependable amp. I know I need to hear the tone I want to hear, but are there any things to look for that might show that its not in good shape?

2. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Aside from the obvious like tone,clean headroom etc.one thing I've noticed is that speaker cabinets can have "hot"spots like the inverse of bass neck's dead spots.one wedge cab I tried(buster 2x10) reproduced the low"A" note much louder than any other notes.so play all the notes on your bass and listen.similarly,I have an old cabinet that is loosening up which played E flat with a rattle,I found the problem and fixed it, now it has a problem with "G" notes.

3. Jim,
    Thanks a bunch, yeah, the guy who owns it seems real nice, Im gonna bring a friends just so I can feel confident saying no if I have to