Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to match with my Eden 410XLT?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by schmittuml, Jun 1, 2005.

1. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    I am goin th have a Pre/Power setup with an eden navigator and a qsc plx1602... I am goin to have a 410XLT and want to add another cab. What would give me better presence and low end? I was thinking of the 118XL, but would another matchin 410XLT or even a 410 XST be a better choice?

Playing through a Marcus Miller 5, an old yamaha, and a soon to be Quantam 5.

2. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    If you want more presence, a 15 or 18 (Eden) will be the best bet. If you want a bit of low end extention, a little more presence and a heck of a lot more punch, i'd say go for an XST.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Try another 410, you'll be amazed that you'll get more low end with 810's than with 410's and a 15 . . . . and definitely more presence.

I personally don't define 'presence' and 'low end' as the same thing. Presence, to me is more mid range grunt, more definition, and you won't get that with a 15 or an 18 . . .

4. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.

I agree. But I think a 4-10 usually lacking in the range a single 15 gives somewhere in the middle. A 15 will sometimes have a rounder sonic signature compared to the boom-scoop-sizzle of a 4-10. (which is why I don't use 4-10's anymore) The combination of the two however is great, more versatile.

And lastly, I disagree somewhat with the statement that a 15 won't have presence or definition. My Bergantino HT115 has plenty of BOTH, and other single 15 cabs I used typically had better midrange than the scoop and low mid bump of a 4-10.
    Just my two cents.

5. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    another matchin 410XLT

6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I think a 115XLT would sound killer. I had a 210XLT and 115XLT that sounded great together, but the 115 was louder, so it'd probably pair really well with a 410XLT. I'm doing the same thing right now with an Aguilar GS410, and I decided to check out a GS212 for the bottom cab ... we shall see.

7. basslag13

basslag13

Apr 16, 2005
    a 410 can't reproduce the same frequencys as a 15 so a 15 will give you a lower sound but a 410 will give you more volume. Basically do you want lower volume with quality lowend or do you want higher volume with midocre quality lowend.

this is another reason why you see people like victor wooten with 810s AND 2 15s

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Nonsense. I can show you a dozen 410 cabs that have a lower frequency response rating than many 1x15's . . .

. . . though it does all depend on the manufacturer and specific speaker we're talking about . . .

9. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    210XST or 212XLT.

10. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    As you can see by the many different answers you are receiving, it's all based on your taste and your own perception of your sound.

If it was me.... I'd get a 212 or 115. Yes, a brand like Eden can make a 410 that hits the same frequencies as a 115.... but that doesnt mean they sound the same. A 115 moves a lot more air, simply with its size... its something that gives you more to feel, rumble, and vibration.... it gets into the ground a little bit more. A 212 is basically the same thing in most scenarios, but to a lesser extent... a happy-medium sort of.

I cant tell you how cool it is to have CONTROL over the amount of power each cab gets. I recently sold my 115, but for the past year I've had 450Watts going into my 410 and 115 respectively, which each cab on a separate channel of my RMX1450. It was great to just control how much of each element I wanted to hear or feel. For me, I usually had a 410 at about 1 o'clock and had it playing a main roll... the 115 was at about 9 o'clock and played more of a supporting roll in the setup, but it wouldnt have sounded as good without it. I got the extra rumble and push that I wanted... and not too much of it.