1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What to mod first on squier P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassNeo, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Not that I feel I need to, but I bought it on the cheap and I want to have some fun.

It's a '94, black with white pickguard.

Suggestions?

2. new strings?

3. orangeball

orangeball

Jul 12, 2011
    BEAD

4. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

Sep 14, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Tonal or visual mods? I hate the 1 ply white pg, so I would change that fast. If you like the sound I would leave it.

5. Ronbassman

Ronbassman

Jun 1, 2011
    Black with a tortoise pickguard looks awesome!
    Change the pickguard, then the pickup and the pots.

6. the first thing i usually upgrade is the bridge, something like a gotoh 201 or a badass

7. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    In this order, pickups, pots, tuners, bridge, pickguard, neck, body, strap buttons. Then pass it on to your grandchildren, who will call it their "Grandfather's Axe" :bag:

8. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I'd say pickups and strings.

9. braud357

braud357 Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    I recently purchased a Squier CV 60's Precision Bass in Sonic Blue. The fit and finish were top notch, but when I plugged it in, I did find a problem. The tone control was, in effect - non-functional. I upgraded the bass with a Seymour Duncan "Quarter-Pound" pickup, a pair of solid shaft CTS pots, and a Sprague orange-drop capacitor. Wow - what a difference !! On hindsight, the pickup change may have not been necessary. But the upgraded pots really made a noticible difference. Concerning the other hardware - I can really not find any fault with the bridge or tuners. The cheapest mod - the pots - may give you the most "bang for the buck" !!