1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What to pair an SVT 5 Pro with ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eedwards7891, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Ampeg hlf 4x10 with a 1x15

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Ampeg 6x10 ran mono

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Eedwards7891

Eedwards7891

Dec 11, 2017
    I recently acquired an ampeg svt 5 pro, and I am AMAZED . It's the first standalone head I've ever bought , so I'm pretty new to it .

With it, I got a Hartke 4x10 XL. The one with the aluminum speakers , haha. The dust caps came unglued , and I reglued them and it started working without sounding terrible.

I realize that it is not adequate for the head. I'm making a rig for drop a tuned stoner doom metal, and I need a loud, big sound.

The SVT 5 Pro is a 1000w head , capable of running bi amp or mono . Ideally, I would like to run it loud enough to keep up with two 150w tube head guitar players . The hartke sounds okay, but I need the loudness, and it falls away and gets farty quick.

I've been looking in to an Ampeg SVT HLF 4x10 and 6x10. I hear the 4X10 is considered to be "boomy", but I dont quite understand what that means . There's not a music store that Carrie's either where I live .

My thoughts are to get the 6x10 and run it with a 1x15, or get the 4x10 and run it with a 2x10 extension I have . The head can carry the 2 ohm load, and the cabs should be able to handle the wattage I think . Plus, I could use the frequency selector feature to send lows to the 15 .

All in all, I just would like some advice.

I want to play LOUD, in drop A#. Also what does "boomy" mean?
    Anyways, thank you for your help

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Boomy is overwhelming low end. Newer 410hlf's aren't as boomy as older ones, but the potential is there. 610hlf sounds more like the 810e to me and doesn't get all that boomy.

I would just skip the preliminaries and get an 810e. Cobbling together rigs with a large cab paired with a small is going to limit how loud you can get by the smallest cab, not the biggest. And it's a darn good way to blow them when you're a crazy loud player. So just quit fooling around with it and get an 810.

High Camp and Eedwards7891 like this.
  3. Eedwards7891

Eedwards7891

Dec 11, 2017

Good point.

I've got a few options locally in the used market. There's a Carvin 8x10 ,I'm not sure if its redline or the other one, and a bassoon 8x10.

I'm running an SVT 5 Pro in the mono setting, which claims to put out a little over 1000w at four ohms.

The carvin guy wants 225, the bassoon guy wants 450. Would either of these be good options ?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not familiar with either personally, but the Basson is a giant 200+ lb monster that goes insanely low and requires a ton of wattage just to operate. Personally I'd wait for an 810e but choosing between the Carvin and Basson, i would take the Carvin unless it's a budget line cab.

rodl2005 and Eedwards7891 like this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021