1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What to pair up with an Epifani T-310?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassdr, Feb 22, 2003.

1. I have an Epifani T-310 that I use for practice and home and when I gig. It weighs around 70 lbs. and I hate to cart it back and forth to church where i play weekly.

I want to get a cabinet to leave there to use as a monitor and want to get something that will work well with my T-310.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of a 15, but new Epi 15's are $$$$

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    What amp are you using? You're biggest problem is that the 3x10 has a wierd nominal impedance. From memory it's about 5 ohms. Most amps will allow a minimum of 4 ohms. So to add a cab will almost certainly bring your impedance below 4 ohms.

I've always wondered how Epifani users get around this. Use an amp that goes down to 2 ohms, or a power amp with 2 chanels I guess?

Once you've sorted the impedance issuse - Avatar seem to make gret value for money cabs. Have a look at their 15's.

3. Good point. The T-310 is rated at 5.6 ohms. Adding an eight ohm cabinet would take it a little below 4 ohms. I'm using a Mesa Walkabout which prefers 4 ohms but can go down to 2, but it tends to overheat when pushed.

I've been looking at the Avatars, also used Bag End 15's. I hear good things about both.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    If it says it can go down to 2 ohms than it probably can. Don't worry about heat unless it's really really hot. Amps will always get hot. But if you're worried, put a small fan on it. The one I use is 12V, 8cm by 8cm (ie tiny. Same height as a 2 ru amp) and does a tremendous job of keeping things cool.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i always treat 3 driver cabs as if they're 4 ohms, dont get to hung up on impedance it is nominal

overall, if your amp is rated for 2 oms and is mono, i would get another 4 ohm cab, using a 4 and an 8 on the same load really doesnt do well, as the 8 wont get pushed enought to get heard
    if youre using a stereo amp then you can use whatever you want on the other side

for 8 ohm cabs the epi 112 is definitely worth a listen, and i would strongly reccomend a bagend 15 with or without the coaxial tweeter, they are incredible

for my $. i would probably use a stereo amp and get an epii 212 for the other side