1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What to pair with an Aguilar DB 112 NT?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gscroggin, Jul 23, 2012.

1. DB 210

7.7%
  2. DB 112

33.3%
  3. Another DB 112 NT

44.9%
  4. DB 115

6.4%
  5. Something else entirely!

7.7%
  1. gscroggin

gscroggin

Feb 2, 2006
    CT
    As the title says; what should I pair with my new Aguilar DB 112 NT?

Delivered today (well yesterday I guess given the time) from Amazon (on sale :hyper:) and I'm loving it. It's the fullest sounding single 12 I've ever tried. Very glad I picked up the NT model, I'm loving how smooth the highs are, at least for the type of music that I'll be using it for. Sure, it's a great deal heavier than my Schroeder Mini 12L (42 vs. 21?) but for the sound I don't care a bit! I still need to try it at a practice this week though to see how the volume and clarity are, but it seems just as loud (if not louder because of the lows) than the Schroeder and a generic 2x10 I had. Then again the latter two may cut better in a band setting...?

So, to set the stage for this rig, here are the likely factors:

Gear
    - Acoustic Image Focus 2R Series III (400W at 8 ohms, 800W at 4 ohms, 1000W at 2 ohms)
    - 5 string MM/J (low B)
    - 5 string piezo fretless (low B)
    - 5 string EUB (low B)
    - DB (mic'd and/or piezo)
    - Aguilar Tone Hammer pedal on the electrics

Music (across a few different bands)
    - Acoustic rock/pop (with and without a drummer)
    - Post rock
    - Ska, rock, swing
    - Jazz, fusion
    - Most venues will range from small (50 or less ppl) to medium (200 or less ppl), with PA/house support over that

***For louder, more aggressive stuff, typically with a different band, I've got a completely different rig (Genz)

The choices (another 8 ohm cab)

DB 210
    - 41 Hz -> 16 kHz
    - 59 lbs

DB 112
    - 42 Hz -> 16 kHz
    - 45 lbs

Another DB 112 NT
    - 42 Hz -> 2 kHz
    - 42 lbs

DB 115
    - 32 Hz -> 3 kHz
    - 71 lbs (has casters)

Something else entirely?!?!

So, for those of you with Aggie experience, what say you? I'm kind of leaning towards the 115, as every time I play a house 15" at a practice hall lately I'm loving the low end...though typically the mids and highs aren't great. In fairness they are typically workhorse Peavey's and GK's (cabs and combos), or older Ampegs with mediocre heads. Still, the low end response of the Aggie 112 impresses me. The real test was my Veillette, it has lows that many cabs have a hard time with. This one didn't blink. So maybe I don't need more low end? I do love me some thunderous low B though :bassist: It interesting the way that the frequency responses lay out across the different cabs (I got them from the Aguilar site), no?

Thanks for helping me out!

2. Another DB112NT if U don't wanna tweeter, or a DB112 if ya do.

3. +1 to another 112.

Also - put rubber stoppers on the opposite side to the handle - you won't regret it. The shape of these things is a real design flaw IMO.

4. Another db112.

Pics bro.

5. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Double up for bassy goodness. If you found something good with one - go for more for a delightful modular rig :hyper:

6. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I can't speak for the DB series, but I have a GS112NT and a GS112. They sound really great together, one has a tweeter if I need it, very portable, look nice together.

7. This is a no brainer. You know you like the cab you have. Why wouldnt you double up for more of what you like?

8. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    I'd go DB 112 NT. If you like the tone, two is better. The other option is to go DB 112 and just turn off the tweeter - but you'd have the tweeter there if you wanted to use it.

(I've used the GS112/112NT combination and it sounds great IMO.)

9. Just to be contrarian, and since you have a 2 ohm stable head.
    How abotu a 4 ohm DB212?

10. +1

Moar is moar.

11. Coughdrops

Coughdrops Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2008
    South Florida
    I had the EXACT same "dilemma" recently. I was leaning towards putting the db115 with the 112nt but found a regular db112 used, so I went with that based on price/weight ratio between that and the 115. The 2 x db112 sounds great. I still want the Aggie 115 just because but I wouldn't hesitate getting another 112. I would have got another NT but found the regular used, that's the only reason I did. Very honest, even sounding cabs to me and two of them has great low end and everything on up.

12. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

double your pleasure; double your fun...112NT

13. brotherbassj

brotherbassj

Sep 20, 2008
    Virginia
    Jim Dunlop USA, King Kong Cases, Golden Eagle Energy Drink
    I have a db112 and a db112NT.......Pair it that way.....equal wat tdispersion to same woofer.....add tweet if you need a little high end, turn it off if you dont. They stack perfectly and respond well! You never know if you will need a touch of top end sizzle in a different room........

14. Dogfish

Dogfish

May 15, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    What he said. It's my set up & I am happy with it.

15. gscroggin

gscroggin

Feb 2, 2006
    CT
    Absosmurfly!

Just unboxed:
    DB112a.

Amidst some taste testing:
    DB112b.

armybass likes this.
  16. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Bingo.

It would hard for me to conceive of using any rig that tops out at only 2 kHz. So I would opt for the DB112 + DB112NT combination - so at least you have the option to go above 2 kHz, when and if you need to... :meh:

MM

17. Bro- nice! Aguilars db cabs are just so cool lookin.

18. I'm not so sure that it tops out at 2 kHz.

Is that even possible? (assuming -3 or even -6 dB)

~

Off topic...That DB115 keeps talking to me in my sleep...

Anyone rocking 2 x DB115's ??? I can't even imagine.