what to practise in 3 hours

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by 33degrees, Jun 6, 2005.

1. 33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    i am practising daily on double bass for 3 hours.
    i have been playing for a few years but got frustrated with 'winging ' it all the time so now its time for some serious study!
    at the moment i'm doing major keys up every string vertically and horizontilly (at least 2 octaves). i just started practising my dominant and minor 2 chords in the same manner.
    next i will tackle harmonic minor with the minor flat 5 and Dominant flat 9 again in the same manner.
    i have transcribed a few chambers solos, wihich i practise and am starting on some ray brown lines.
    what do you think, anything i left out? im going to buy a bow next week!
  2. Get a decent bow, balanced and straight. Do a lot of slow bow work with a metronome. The extended notes will make your fingers stronger by holding the string down longer. It sounds like you need a teacher to help you with some exercises. It will really pay off to find yourself a good teacher.
    Good luck!
  3. 33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    thanks for the advice,
    another question: do you have different fingering to play the same scale, for example running an A major scale up the G-string, i have found 2 ways of fingering it depending whether or not im going to go past the octave or come back down.is that correct?
    p.S. im broke at the moment so i cant afford a teacher alhough im going out to watch a lot of upright players as i live in Paris.
  4. I think I once read that Rabbath has over 200 ways of playing each scale.
  5. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I dug out some of my college books and amongst them was a book of etudes in which i had written my daily morning regimen:

7am-8am bowing
    8am-9am scales
    9am -10am etudes, excersizes, any pieces that need to be learned.
  6. 33degrees

Jun 4, 2005

yea thats great! but at the moment i am spending 3 hours on scales and even that isnt enough, i think i need 6 hours a day just for scales!
  7. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    For you right now that may be the best thing to focus on, but you'll find that your practicing needs change drastically over time. It seems as though you have a good idea of what you want to be working on, so just keep at it. A teacher can be very helpful, as well...