Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what to put an a nice vintage jazz>?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassopotmus, Apr 18, 2003.

1. bassopotmus

bassopotmus

Jan 12, 2003
    Holland
    hey folks, could you please tell me wat to put on a vintage jazz>? it's a Fender made like a '64.

I don't really play slap on this bass (got a 'ray) but want FAT tone and nice growl.

I heard about DR string, shifting between lowriders of FAT beams..little help?

2. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    My jazz ain't as old as yours (its only a '75) but I've tried slinkys, blue steels, DRs and Elixirs in the time I've had it (about a year). Settled on the elixirs as they seem to work well for me and for my bass.

The sound isn't excessively bright even when new. I'd say they start off like a set of the Blue steels after a gig (I used to get two/three gigs out of a set of blue steels if I was lucky) but the sound stays pretty much the same over the life of the string. They do have that nice zing though when you dig in.

I noticed the DR's seemed to be quite a 'heavy' string for the gauge. There seemed to be quite a bit off extra tension to get them up to tune - which needed a tweak of the truss rod to correct the extra pressure on the neck, but they did have a nice fat tone.

I'm not a great fan of slinkys. don't get me wrong they sound ok, I just don't get on with them. Gave 'em a try but...

I've had the elixirs on the jazz for 6 months now. I've had a set on my warwick and got nearly a year out of 'em before replacing them (and I really sweat on my warwick) so I hope to get 18 months out of them on the jazz.

Hope this is some help - and tell us how you get on :)

3. bassopotmus

bassopotmus

Jan 12, 2003
    Holland
    thanks! I thing about going for the DR's.

I have Slinky's on my 'Ray, but i keep somehow breaking the G, alrealy polished the sadle....

Anyways I get back to myu beloved GHS boomers on my ray, sparkling and nice boom.

Thanks again, because strings are like the wheels on you car..

4. Billdog

Billdog

Feb 27, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    flats baby! It's the only way to get the funk!