Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to put between Sansamp BDDI and power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthias, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Which rackmount devices (1HU if possible) allow it to boost the output signal of the SABDDI, so that I can drive a poweramp to full power?
    Compressors? EQ's?

Could I also use a Boss GEB-7 (EQ stomp box with active volume control) fo this purpose?

Thanks!
    Matthias

2. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

It sounds like you are trying to drive the power amp without a preamp.
    My preamp failed one night,and I ran my power amp with the BDDI alone. It did not work well. My guess is that the output of the BDDI dos not match the input needs of a power amp.
    That being said, I would get some type of preamp and then run the BDDI In FRONT of the preamp.
    I always use it that way. It helps you tweak your tone no matter what amp you use. Also, you run your signal to the board right out of the BDDI.
    You should be able to get a decent preamp for a reasonable price.
    I don't believe that the BDDI is intended to be used without the gain of a preamp also.

3. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Yes.
    IME this does not work very well with every preamp. It seems like running a bass through two preamps can mess things up quite a bit - at least when both preamps have a distinctive voicing.
    That's correct, it isn't.
    Thanks for your input.
    Matthias

4. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Thanks, that's were I'm coming from...
    This topic has been discussed a lot in the past, I've listed the most informative threads below. But it has hardly been discussed how to solve that problem (besides the suggested modification of the sabddi or using it in front of a 'real' bass preamp).
    Geshel mentioned that one could put a mixer like the Behringer 602 between sabddi and poweramp and Blisshead reported that he uses a compressor for this purpose.

SansAmp BDDI as a preamp directly into power amp?
    Pre-Amp output ATTN: Heavy Duty and Bob from QSC please
    SansAmp as a preamp

Matthias

5. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    It would seem to me that if you like the sound of th e SansAmp as your main tone, but have to go to the trouble of adding a mixer or preamp to make it compatible with a power amp, you would probably spend the same amount of money or more than if you just bought the rackmount SansAmp. I'm sure you could sell the stomp box to offset the cost of the new preamp, as there are a lot of fans of it out here.

6. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Yes, this sounds reasonable.

It's just that I have a certain idea in my head since our last show where we played with several other bands:

I would like to bring 'my tone' in one compact package (=just some stomp boxes including the SABDDI mounted on a pedal board) and just plug this into the provided amp. And in situations where I have to bring my own amp I would bring a poweramp and a cab additionally.

But with regard to this thread it seems to be easier to realise this concept by having a seperate rack for the preamp (e.g. RBI and 19" tuner) and a seperate rack for the power amp.
    I hope this makes sense...

Matthias

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Two things -

1) I think I read of a BDDI mod here at TB where removing one chip resistor gives line-level output from the balanced output. It was in the last week or so - do a search.

2) I've found that having a small lightweight rack case for my RBI, a power director, a rack tuner and my compressor AND a small rack bag for my power amp works very well. I use a SKB XRack for the preamp (only 11" deep as I recall, and very light) and a no-name shallow (12") bag for the amp. I occasionally drag the preamp rack along to my practice space and jack into the effects return on my GK.

Would a small 2u or 3u XRack with an RBI and rack tuner cramp your style? An added benefit is that you gain an extra enclosed space for transporting cables, tools and beer cans. And I personally prefer the RBI over the BDDI for use as a preamp - having the mid control and a direct AC plug-in is great.