Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to put in my rack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Juniorkimbrough, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I've got a 4 Space rack with a QSC RMX850 power amp and a RBI. I've got one more open space and am unsure what I want to put in it. I really want something that can "add" to my sound. At first I was thinking about a rackmount tuner, then I scratched that idea......then I thought about a compressor but I doubt I'd really get much use out of that in a live situation.

Anyone have any suggestions for me?

2. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    An effects processor, another preamp, a filler panel for airflow, or this: http://www.funklogic.com/dd301.htm (note: it doesn't do anything, but it looks like it does).

3. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    How about nothing. Dont be in a hurry to put something in the empty space until you need it.

4. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Aparently the designers are milli, vanilli, and ashlee simpson.

5. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    originally I was going to leave it open for airflow but we all know how GAS is.... Plus my rack has the retractable handle and wheels therefore at the bottom of the rack under my power amp there is an inch or two of empty space that gives the amp a little room to breathe.

6. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    Have you thought about a power conditioner? There is a lot of "bad" power out there if you gig out a lot. Or perhaps a BBE sonic maximizer, I have one in mine, does wonders.

(its got the faint red ring around it)

Attached Files:

7. I put one in my rack about 4 months ago.
    My drummer saw it and asked what I got.
    I told him,"a digilog dynamicator".
    He said,"oh, whatever that is", and walked away.
    I like leaving him wondering.

8. I wouldn't try to fill your rack just because there is space available. One day you might find something you really want and you'll be lucky enough to have space for it.

9. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    A tuner or a compressor are definately the better options. Compressors come in real handy and who doesn't like to be in tune?!?! :smug:

10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I'm looking for a tuner for just that purpose, to cover the unsightly gap in the 4U Road Ready case I got with the 750X.

Power conditioners are typically (though not always in the case of the high-end regulated units) nothing but glorified hardware-store filtered power strips. No better specs.

11. Lots of people like to put these in their racks:
    [​IMG]

Very popular in Florida!

:D

12. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    :rolleyes: :D

13. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000