Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what to put under my new amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by geddyfan, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Just bought a firebass 2 and I need something under it.2-10/15 or 4-10 not sure yet.Any suggestions for efficient good sounding cabs for that head.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Tell us more - what style of music? (I've learned not to believe usernames!) Do you slap? Four or five, or even a six?

Your profile give no hints at all...

3. 4 string JB.Don't slap or pop much.Playing covers anything fron sister hazel to old ZZ Top and anything rock or alternative in between.

4. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    OK, that head's 475W into 4 Ohms, right?

Well, I play similar stuff to you, and love my Bag End S15-D to pieces. Small, light, great transparent sound - I personally believe the tone coloration should come from your bass and preamp, not your poweramp or cabs. I'm saving for a mate to my first.

475W should be OK for a pair of them, but they like power! About $400 each, which isn't bad at all for a pro quality cab that is made well enough to survive a near-miss by a nuke.

Another option is their 2X10, but I personally prefer 15s.

You'll probably be getting as many different suggestions as postings, so demo as many as you can before you buy. I suspect you'll find the "right" cab for you if you look around enough. Have fun shopping!

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I second the BagEnd recomendation. I used a S12-D and a S15-B and had better sound and volume then other locals with GK/hartke stacks (4x10 + 1x15)

Plus with my head and bass in Bags I was able to carry my whole rig in one trip (300watt head & cables in a backpack, bass in a gigbag and a cabinet in each hand.)

6. I'v heard good things abot the bag end but I don't know if we have a dealer in the St Louis metro area,(about the user name would love to play some rush but no one can sing it.)That is correct 475 into 4 ohms 700 into 2.What does a pair of bag end sound like copaired to just 1?

7. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Lend me $200, and I'll get back to you on that! ;)

8. I'm sorry I thought you had a pair.They aren't very efficient though are they.

9. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Actually, IME they are very efficient. I'm also saving up for a second one.

10. What do you power them with?

11. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    SansAmp RBI > Carvin DCM1000. 700W bridged into one now, 1000W bridged into two (someday).

12. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Right now, I'm using a Hartke 3500 with one S-15D. That's 240W into 8 ohms, 350W into 4 ohms.

I play small bars and clubs with a loud drummer and two Marshall-using guitarists, and my signal doesn't go thru the PA. I keep my preamp gain set around 6 or 7 and I've never had to turn my master volume past 4 or 5.

13. Does the S15-D have a good full bottom?I want something that really rocks if I need the floor to shake,at 103 spl it's more efficient than I thought.It was the acme thats a power hog.

14. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    It has great bottom, in my opinion anyway...

15. Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002
    Prague
    <<<what to put under my new amp?>>>

heh... put there drummer ;-))

-------------------sorry, just kidding--------------
    :)

16. I concur with the bag end opinions: i use a s-15-d and a d10bx-d (with a demeter preamp and a crest power amp) - this with a fretless 5-string - great lows, highs and mids.