1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What to Replace 5-string EMG-Hz in Schecter?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TheEmptyCell, Sep 4, 2008.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

I'm eyeing the Schecter Custom 5, but I don't care for active basses, especially with the EMG Hz pickups. Are there any passive replacements that would drop right in from stock, or would I have to custom order through someone like Nordstrand or Searcy?

2. skiscem

skiscem Supporting Member

i think nordstrand makes a Pickup on that size, so i dont think you have to modify anything

3. skiscem

skiscem Supporting Member

i just checked nordstrand and it doesnt seem that they make them on that size as standard, but i have seen a lot of sadowsky and valenti with big singles on EMG size, send an email to nordstrand, they are really helpful a quick to answer

4. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    The HZs are actually passive pickups...

If you are looking for better passives, I'd agree that Nordstrand comes to mind. Not sure if Bartolini has anything, but I'd check with them as well...

-Mark

5. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

Thanks guys. They've got some that would fit the regular EMG routes, but it appears that the Hz are a different size. Of course, the chart that is at the EMG website isn't clear, so they may very well fit.

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I would recommend trying the bass when/if you get it. The EMG HZ's are passive and you can, if you want a passive bass, pull the onboard preamp and rewire it passive. If then you're still not happy, I would suggest changing the pickups.

IIRC, EMG HZ's are the same size as EMG USA pickups. Generally, the 5 string p/us are 4" x 1.5". Nordstrand makes pickups in that size.

7. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    The HZs are the same size as the regular active EMGs.

8. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    I think the pickups are either 40 or 45 size IIRC.