1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What to Replace my American Standard Precision with?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Poon, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Guys,

As some of you know, my car got robbed last week.

They stole my USA Lakland Joe Osborn 5 which kills me, but what I had been using most recently was my newly acquired (about a week and a half old) American Standard Precision in Charcoal Frost metallic.

This was one of the newer 2008+ featured basses that had a higher mass bridge, lighter tuners, etc. It was generally a pretty light bass @ around 8.6lbs and I really dug the tone. Before I had contemplated getting a vintage precision but had gotten such a great deal on this bass that I couldn't pass it up.

So now that it's gone...what do I get next?

I had previously owned a Skyline Glaub (with a Fralin pickup in it) simultaneously with the CFM Fender. Although the Glaub actually had better fit & finish when it came to fretwork and construction, I actually liked the feel of the neck (maybe to do with the 1.625 vs. 1.75 nut width), weight, and tone of the fender more.

I've seen a lot of Vintage Precisions come up in the classifieds recently. Makes me drool, however insurance didn't give me anything for the loss, so I'm on a somewhat limited budget.

Suggestions on a Precision to replace what I lost?

2. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Get another one. The 2008+ models are really nice.

3. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Get a 62 Reissue. I love mine. It's CIJ - cost me under $500.

4. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    They have a 1.75 neck, right?

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I have old (1973/1974) and new (2007/2008) MIA Fenders....

IMO the 2008 to present Fender American Standards are the best quality basses Fender has ever made (maybe excluding some Custom Shop basses).

For $1199 new, you really can't touch the quality, sound and feel of these basses.

IMO, go with a 2008-2010 P unless you find an older Fender that you can actually get your hands on to play... AND you love it.

In my case, I love my 1973 P (and I played over a dozen '70's Fenders to find this one)... but my 2008 P gets all the gigs.

6. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thank you for that honest and insightful response. It seems like everyone really digs the MIA Fenders from 2008+.

I definitely did.

7. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I agree on the '08 > Am. Std. P's. Get one used if you can. If you can't afford that right now, look for a used MIM Classic '50s P. I was A/B'ing mine with my '08 Am. Std. P a day or so ago. I'm telling you, both of them have killer tone. You can find used Classic '50s for around $500.00. There are usually at least one or two of both ('50s and newer Am. Stds.) in the TB classifieds at most given times.

Sucks about yours. Good luck!

Oh yeah, meant to add that the Classic '50s are 1.75" at the nut. The new Am. Std. P's are 1.625".

8. +1 to another Fender. (though my next P will be Warmoth) just curious how did you like the Fralin in your Lakland, compared to the regular Fender pup?

btw that REALLY sucks about the theft! I had a guitar stolen out of my dad's car, in front of a church on Easter Sunday . . . just sucks!

9. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Fralin was definitely more "old school" sounding to me. It had more of the tone that I hear from motown basslines. The fender precision pickup sounded clearer and a bit more modern. I think for a lot of people, the fralin would work better, but I actually think the stock pickup in the Fender was perfect for the more "rock" oriented stuff I do.

10. cool thanks! Been tossing up what pup to put in my Warmoth P that I'm gassing really hard over! :D

11. First off I want to say how sorry I am to hear about your basses being stolen. But if this gives you any hope, I just had my '79' Music Man Sabre returned to me after 26 yrs of it being stolen from my rehearsal place. I got thru a contact on Facebook, so there is always hope you'll get them back. There's a thread here on TB about my ordeal.

Secondly, I own a '08' MIA Fender Jazz V that is absolutely a great sounding bass guitar. It fits into the mix when all my other basses don't. You can't go wrong with the '08's or '09's.

Good Luck,
    Vinnie;);)

12. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks Vinnie. That's an amazing story. 26 years later it was returned? I have to read that story.

13. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Does the 70's P's have the same neck profile & nut width as the Modern P ?

14. Boo on the Theft ... But I would agree on getting another Fender P. My main player is the Fender P5. Works well for the indie rock that I do, which is probably more along the line of what you're looking for based on listening to the Myspace link.

15. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    What did you think of the Fralin pickup vs. your Fender in terms of tone?

16. RTL

RTL Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    Aww Steve,

That really really sucks, man... Did they at least leave the stereo? Damn crooks... :mad:

17. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nope...they got the JVC. :mad:

So I reinstalled the stock stereo myself. At least insurance covered that. But it didn't cover my Ipod which was connected to it at the time.

18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I have an MIA Standard that I bought new off the rack at GC in 2002. It's a bit heavier than most, but it is very nicely put together, has that belly vibe, and the tone is very good.

It's a great time to be looking for a good sounding bass guitar.

It sucks that you have to because yours got stolen.

19. Well before I bought the P5, I used the Skyline Bob Glaub in my indie rock band. I am not sure if it was just the pickup since I went from the Ash/Maple Glaub to a Alder/Rosewood P5, but there was a big difference in girth and a lot more force in the tone.

20. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    More from the Glaub or the P5?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020