Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to replace my SVT4PRO with?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by biergott, Jan 27, 2003.

1. biergott

biergott DuBistEineKartoffelnsalad kopf

Feb 7, 2002
    Orange County, Ca
    I am tired of my Ampeg SVT-4PRO breaking down. I am also tired of the horrible "service" and "support" I have received from Ampeg and their Warranty Centers. I won't go into the lack of which I have received. If you are curious, email me as I am not into public bashings of companies.

My amp recently died again. No, it is not abused or beaten up.

I play through the Ampeg PR15H and PR410H and was wondering what other head options there are out there to power these speakers and give me the same volume (if not more!!!) than the SVT4PRO did.

I am open to going to a preamp and separate amp as well, but would prefer a head that does it all...

Any suggestions?

2. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    if you wouldn't mind - i have been thinking of getting an svt 4 and i would like to know what your problems were - both with the amp performance and the 'service.'

thanks,
    erik

3. biergott

biergott DuBistEineKartoffelnsalad kopf

Feb 7, 2002
    Orange County, Ca
    check your email

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    If you like the Ampeg tone, you might consider a Sansamp Rackmount SBDI paired up with a good power amp like Stewart or QSC. I would imagine a Stewart 1.6 mono-bridged into your cabs would be pretty good and the Sansamp would allow you to dial in a decent Ampeg-like growl. You could also consider an SVP if you're not totally soured on SLM products, of course. Then you'd REALLY have the Ampeg sound happening but could still use a separate (and more powerful) amp. Good luck.

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'd suggest Mesa 400+, that as long as you want power tubes.
    I guess recommending a SVP-PRO with some kind of power amp is not an option here. :)

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I just happen to have a nice 400+ for sale right now! ;)

7. Boogie Boy

Boogie Boy

Jan 26, 2003
    I agree, the 400+ is an awesome amp w/ plenty of reserve power. I went through alot of amps (and $) before I finally bought my Boogie. I love it as much as the dog!

8. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    yeah I agree with the others....tubes is the way to go..even thought I don't own a 400+, I'd say get one. I own a Trace Elliot Hexa 380watts of all tube goodness and it kicks ass...very clean very fixable. I'd say go for the 400+

9. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    I have a SVT-4pro and I ran across a great deal for a Mesa M-Pulse 360 so I bought the Mesa. Well I've only played the Ampeg once since I got the Mesa and I going to sell my Ampeg. To me the Mesa just sounds so much better. I can get much deeper lows and great gain that I can't get from the Ampeg. I'd say check out the Mesa M-Pulse 600.

10. Er0

Er0

Jan 15, 2003
    St Louis MO
    I still have yet to have a problem with any kind of ampeg i have ever owned and alot of my friends who own ampeg have never had problems with them either

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    FWIW, I happen to LIKE the SVP Pro preamp. Just bought one again, in fact, for an alternative rack system I'm assembling.