Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to search for in first half-stack equipment?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Nov 13, 2002.

1. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I'm thinking of buying half-stack equipment gradually, picking up whatever I can find at a pawn shop. However, I have no clue what to search for in a head or cabinet and I don't understand this thing about ohms. Could somebody please explain?

2. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    First, ohms (resistance):
    My amp is 200W at 8ohms, 350 at 4ohms

Two 8ohm cabinets = a 4ohm load on your amp.

Run it to one 8ohm cabinet, that cab gets 200W.
    Run it to one 4ohm cabinet, that cab gets 350W.
    Run it to two 8ohm cabinets, each cab gets 175W.

Most amps you will be looking at are only able to support a 4ohm load. Some will support a 2ohm load (i.e. running two 4ohm cabinets) Basically, less resistance means the amp is gonna run hotter, possibly fry it it's lower than the acceptible limit.

A popular first half stack seems to be a 200-400W head unit in combination with either a 1x15 or a 4x10 cabinet... with the possibility of both down the road.
    But if you get the right 4x10, it may be all you ever need.

As for what kind/brand? I'm sold on Ampeg gear, but a hundred other people here can recommend 200 other brands to try out. That's the key... try EVERY single head, cab, and combination of each, and buy the one that sounds good AND fits your budget. Happy hunting!

3. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Check your local mom and pop music stores for gear on consignment. It's usually way better than any pawn shop prize. I got my half stack (Ampeg SVT350H and SVT410HEN) for $600 on consignment. Look up the new prices, it was around $1300 last time I looked.

If the locals don't have anything at the moment, leave your name and phone # so people know your looking. You might also find some jamming buddies that way...