Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to spray into my Graphic EQ

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fdeck, Mar 18, 2006.

1. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I just resurrected a 20+ year old MXR graphic EQ from my basement, and want to start using it. A couple of the sliders didn't work until I exercised them for a while. I don't want the EQ to be iffy on a gig. Is there a spray, preferably from Radio Shack, that is preferred for cleaning these pots?

Yeah, I know, buy a new one. But the MXR is a perfectly good design, and was never heavily used before my brother gave it to me.

2. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
  3. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    radioshack has a white spray bottle of electrical contact cleaner. It seems to be pretty good stuff. I've used it myself several times.

4. NEVER !!! WD-40 is designed for lubricating/loosening mechanical parts. It is not designed to be used on electronics. It is an insulator, not a conductor.

5. compressed air? they sell that at radioshack. it might work to blow all the dust and grime out.

6. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Caig Labs DeOxit. Designed for that purpose and works well.

Compressed air doesn't clean the contacts, it just pushes stuff around if the stuff is loose.

7. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.

FYI the Radio Shack contact cleaner in the white can leaves a nasty residue that eats paint & if you overspray it just stays on the circuit board and turns into goop. IIRC, the DeOxit does not.

8. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Thanks for the info. I've used it conservatively on parts that I could clean up if I indeed I did overspray. I'll keep your comment in mind if ever I need to use a lubricant in a less-than-reachable part.

9. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Thanks for all the tips. I got the EQ working to the point where I discovered that I can get my desired curve with the EQ on the amp itself. So I will put the MXR back in storage without cleaning the pots, just to minimize the effect of flesh-eating contact spray. Meanwhile I will get some of that DeOxit to have on hand for general use.

I suppose that's a good use for an EQ, to burst my occasional GAS bubbles.

10. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    I'll straight up buy that EQ from you.

11. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Ohhhh. I just can't bring myself to do that. It is a MXR 108, and is such a nice tidy little package. Plus, it officially still belongs to my brother.