What to think about when making a warmoth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Suckbird, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Not that i'm thinking going to order it anytime soon but anyway,
    I would like a tele bass with a humbucker and single coil, maple fretboard but i dont know what wooods to pick... and what is laminate bodies?
    I'm thinking about swamp ash or alder but, but...
    The sound i want is punchy, grindy and good for slap and tap...
    Also, do you order the pre-amp and pickups etc from warmoth?
    What pickups and preamps would you use(i thinking about emg and aguilar), i guess i would like an active bass...

How's the quality of warmoths and how much do you think a bass like this would cost?
  2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I was looking at their site today too. One thing I think is a drawback is you're never sure how the bass will sound until it's finished. If it turns out not being what you hoped, you're most likely going to take a loss. I did a "Gecko" search here and read a post that stated you'll lose around 70% of what the instrument cost you to build if you ever choose to sell it in the future.

Maybe I'm lucky, but I'm really happy with the Fender-style Warmoth basses I have. I'm thinking about a Gecko-6 as a backup to my Roscoe.

You can order pretty much eerything you need directly from Warmoth, but I didn't see a lot of different brand of pickups listed. As far as the overall tone goes, I'm no expert. I see a lot of guys who slap and tap will choose a bass with an ash body and maple fingerboard for it's attack. I'm pretty sure the folks at Warmoth can give you some good advice on what types of wood that would give you the best results.

- Art
  3. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Thanks for the info.
    But what about clear gloss/satin necks etc..?
  4. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    You want satin. Much smoother feeling.

Their site is kinda out of date apparently and there's stuff that isn't shown on there. They have a good wealth of finishes not shown in their paint section, but looking around the showcase you could see some.
  5. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Still worried 'bout the pickups.
    I like the Humbucker/singecoil for looks but i rather have a good sounding bass than a good looking..
  6. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I think about women.
  7. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I would got with the same manufacturer for both pickups. Don't choose the pickups for looks! Get what works for you. Go to a store with a good variety of basses (Guitar Center would do) and play some different configurations. You'll get a good feeling for the tonal variations of PJ, JJ, MM, and soaps. There are some good spots on their site about which wood to choose, but I find ash is brighter and more high mids whereas alder is a little darker with more low mids. A maple fingerboard is definitely brighter/more attack than a rosewood board. The quality is good, you can build just what you want, and get a custom bass for around $1000-$1400 depending on your choices. The downside is there is virtually no resale value, so make sure it is something you plan on keeping.
  8. KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    The thought that goes through my head when I play mine is:

"Wow the same parts as some of big name brands at 1/4 the price, he, he, he, he..."

9. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    I got 727$(incl. shipping, swe) when i counted in everything except knobs... and i guess string nut if it's not included..
    for that price i could almost get an american p bass (895$).

Is it worth it?
  10. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I'm getting ready to pull the trigger before summer myself--the way I figured it, I can get superdense rainforest wood parts cheaper than elsewhere, and if I don't like a certain part (sound, feel, electronics, whichever) I can order a different part for less than an ebay MIM. Hey, if I do it enough, I might accidentally end up with two basses. How can you lose? Plus, it's easier to sneak parts into the house and past my wife than it would be to sneak an all new instrument. :smug:
  11. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Warmoth offers a great number of variation in types of wood, and quality of wood. When choosing your primary woods I recommend sticking with well known combinations. Builders like Fender, G&L, EB, and even the high end J-type builders out there(Sad', etc.) know what works, not all their decisions are made based on $$$. Woods like alder and ash, although easy to say, are tough to beat in terms of tone. Plan smart, if you are doing a pick-up and/or electronic combo that nobody has ever tried, there may be a reason for it!!
  12. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I do not entirely agree. Warmoth offers all of the woods and explains the general tonal quality of each. Inform yourself with as much information as possible and make your decision wisely. If you want to stay traditional, then do so. If you want to make it an experience, there is that option also. That is the beauty of Warmoth. You can run straight and narrow or be as daring as you so choose. Information and knowledge are a beautiful thing.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

My first thoght would be to make sure you boght all the parts you will need, it is sometimes very easy to over look not having a littel part but it is crucial to the playbility of the instrument.