Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what to trade for

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thebassist1234, Feb 25, 2006.

1. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    hey im new to the forums and im wondering if it would be a smart move to trade a mim p bass for that new epiphone ripper thats coming out especially since rippers are pretty much my favorite basses of all time (krist novosellic worshipper)!

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I would try it first, but that might not be a bad trade...

3. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    i definetly would try it first but A. i dont know when its coming out, B. I dont have enough money to finish up on the trade considering it would prob. be at least 400, and C. i think i could get the tone by puttin on some duncans so i dont knoiw if it would be the best trade

4. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    plus im only 14 so i dont want to go overkill and look like that spoiled brat down the street who forgets about the music and only worries about which alembic hes getting for his half birthday haha not that dramatic but thats just a reference to a guitarist i know

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, I would say, keep the P, and save for the ripper.

6. yea i'm a big P bass fan as well as a really big gibson ripper, grabber, g-3 fan but i always liked everything about a nice P better. nothing is wrong with the gibsons i've played but i wouldnt really know about the epiphone ones.

my votes is stay with the P bass for now.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Stick with the P-bass, you'll probably regret parting with it eventually. I know I've bought and sold two of them, one MIM one vintage American. Both of which I regret parting with.

8. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    the thing i actually dislike about the p besides cosmetics is how warm sounding it is but i am playing through a rumble 100 and it does have a 15 so would that make a difference?

9. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    i mean if i got like a 410?

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    A little bit, I happen to love that warm tone, hence why my rig always contains at least one 15" speaker. Sometimes two, other times coupled with a 4x10. I think a 4x10 would really add more grit to your tone if that's what you're looking for.

11. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    cool ive got a birthday coming up and some nice svt's are popping up on ebay and our band just got like 4 gigs sceduled for the next month and i dont think the rumble's gonna cut it : (

p.s. if we want to get into an amp thread can one of the moderaters move this cause i havent mastered that yet lol

12. +1, you'll always want to keep your first, trust me

13. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Yea IMHO I think everybody needs to have at least 1 P-bass in their aresenal.

14. yup, im still waiting for mine to get re-finished, looking at having a black to silver burst P bass, EMGs, Badass, all black hardware......soon i tell you, SOON! :bag:

15. Don't worry, you're not spoiled. My parents just bought me an Ampeg SVT-410HLF! ;)

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Still have my first bass, no worries there. The rest are replacable.

Believe me, after 40 something instruments, I learn not to get too attached.

17. i hate you:crying:

not really, good deal that your parents support you like that, my parent went halves with me on my rig and bought me a Korg DTR-2000 for my birthday last week:hyper:

18. thebassist1234

thebassist1234

Feb 12, 2006
    haha i wish my parents dont understand the meaning of buying things to make yourself happy just if i have a bass then its sufficient lol.

but it isnt my first bass too ironically i have a p bass copy and then moved up to the mim but realized that the sound quality wasnt that different and frankly the mim has worse quality like i always have to raise the bridge cause it keeps falling down and tuners are terrible and the sound is exactly the same