1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what to try next?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adrian garcia, Jul 19, 2007.

1. adrian garcia

adrian garcia In Memoriam

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    I've been going thru a weird stage lately- tried a couple of sixers and now I am trying to go back to 5-
    I have a Nordy jazz 5 that is not going anywhere, it is an amazing bass that fit me to a t- thing is, I am looking for something else equally exciting to go with my Nordy- F Bass has always been a favorite. I dig the tone of Laklands and F basses and the Am Dlx Fender. Having said that, what am I missing- who's basses should i try that will have exceptional tone and feel. It's gotta sound fat and sound great on a gig - no wirey lead bass tones. Any suggestions?

2. Why do you need something else if the Nordy fits the bill? Seems people do a whole lot of shuffling basses just for sniffs and giggles. But since you got a Jazz, I'd look at something P'esque or Ray'esque.

3. poisonoakie

poisonoakie

Nov 26, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    STAMBAUGH!!!

4. adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    well, i need two basses- a back. i figured, look around for something special- in fact, i am being offered a trade plus cash for a stingray, but i have never had one of those and i am not sure if i will dig it- it has a rosewood board and i find i am a maple guy.

5. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    I love Stingrays and have always had one, which used to be my main bass. I've gotta say, IMO, if you get a stringray...it should be with a maple board because...thats the sting ray sound! I don't use my MM to much anymore because I have an F-Bass which can sort of do the MM thing (not really, but close enough for a gig) and is much more versatile. Versatility isn't a reason to pick an MM.

I love my F Bass, and my old-school Fenders...I almost always prefer a traditional tone. However, recently I've been playing an Elrick 5 string neck through on gospel, jazz and some r&b gig. The thing just kills! Its so easy to play, extremely versatile, and the Bartolini electronics are a TOTALLY different vibe for a "fender guy." It's somewhat closely related to a j-bass design so it doesn't feel like a science project like some other "modern" basses. Plus, it's a beautiful bass and the re-sale on used Elrick basses is relatively low (my 1997 top of the line model was about $1800; less with a trade) which makes them more affordable if you don't want a new one. Actually, I just found out my bass was custom build for Fred Hammond!

6. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    How about your old gal:

SKJOLD1.

7. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Bongo HH ??

8. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Want fat?

[​IMG]

Or fatter?

[​IMG]

No, seriously, Adrian, are you serious? We are the ones who ask you for that kind of advice. I thought I had bad G.A.S., but you are worse.

But are you looking for another Jazz-type bass, or more exotic? I don't think you've tried Alleva-Coppollo or LowEnd jazzes, no?

How about a fretless? One of the above in fretless would round up the collection nicely. . .

9. mikoespanol

mikoespanol

Aug 20, 2005
    Southern CA
    Adrian,

What happened to that beautiful mac ebony BN5??? Did you get rid of that bass?

Miko

10. adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    my bro Horace Kwan has that bass now and it's on my list of possible buy-backs.

11. Adrian, I know what you mean, man. I've been on a bass quest for a couple of years now. Sounds like you and I may have similar tastes. Like you, my FBass is a favorite. Have you tried a Sadowsky M5-24? For me, the BN5/M5-24 are like the classic Jazz/Stingray combo, only better.

Just yesterday, I received a Benavente Vortex 5 (thanks dcr), and I'm extremely pleased with its tone and playability.

12. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'm assuming you've tried a Lakland 55-94? It would offer the same level of feel and playability you're used to and a different type of tone with the humbucker at the bridge. I've tried just about everything and this is the bass that "stuck" for me ... I'm trying the new Lakland pickups soon just for fun!

13. Samjay

Samjay

Jan 28, 2007
    Was this one yours? What didn't you like? Maybe, another Skjold but with different wood configs-Dyson model. Maybe you should consider a Brubaker-very nice. Also, there's one of your homeboys(Boricua) who's a Christian, bassist for his church and a bass luthier named Wilser Ramirez. You should check his site out. He's also a TB'er.

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Adrian, now, that Pete is offering his more 'traditional' looking Lion's Pride models, I think it's time for you to get back in a Skjold. :D

15. adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    just to clarify... the Skjold wasn't really mine, it was one of the last basses sold when i had Access Bass - so i mean, it was mine, but never intended to be a personal bass, though it is an outstanding instrument.
    I HAVE owned Laklands and have always loved them, so a 55-02 with the new electronics is a contender- a 55-94 is too similar and twice the $. I wish there were somewhere around here where I could try these basses, I mean, i know the Laklands, but others... Vegas is quite void of this and now Ed Roman is closing, I should pay a visit but I do not expect anything special.

16. Having been a very satisfied former Benavente owner i suggest one of Chris's basses. Simply amazing instruments.

17. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    Would something like this appeal to you? I played this instrument, and was very impressed with the sound and feel. Both unique and delightful.

The only real downside is, if I order a new one built to my taste, there's a very real chance I'll die of old age before it arrives. But this one is for sale today.

18. adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Yikes! let me walk into my next Elvis or Frank Sinatra Impersonator gig with one of those!

19. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

How about a new JO5. The soundclips with the new Lakland pups are on the Lakland site. That would work for your Elvis and Sinatra gigs...you could even add the Audere.

Actually, I guess that would be redundant since it would be like what you have now. My wife says I get into trouble when I start thinking...:scowl:

20. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    im guessing by the lack of response to my elrick post there's not much interest, but in any event should you want to try one I know you can find a used one at some of the following locations:

www.basscentral.com
    www.thelowend.net
    low D Bass (Darry Jones' site....there's a link at the lowend)