Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what to try?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dougray, Jul 10, 2002.

1. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    recently lost our rythym guitar player and we decided to go "3" piece,well actually counting singer-4... anyways,what effect or piece of equipment i could buy that would "fatten" up my sound:rig: hartke3500 with peavey 4x10TVX cab, the only effect i have been using is a DOD chorus. i would like to have suggestions from bass players that dont have rythym guitar player,but any suggestions would be great!,thanx in advance...

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

A few considerations;

- something other than a DOD chorus, like the new Boss CE-20 or an EBS. I just don't respect DOD stuff at all.

- the new Aphex Aural Exciter

- a SansAmp Bass Driver (not too expensive and simulates the soft clipping of a tube amp)

These are all just "add ons." The ideal solution to me would just be the right bass and amp.

3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Using a delay with very short delay times and low feedback rate can really fatten up your sound. Try using 5-10 milliseconds of delay.

4. There's also the whole octave-divider-as-tone-extention approach...or a pitch shifter to simulate 8-string. The tight bass & amp are still the ideal tho'.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I play in a three piece. The best thing you can do is make sure that the lines you play fill the void to the extent that you hear the void filled. Maybe get an octave or a synth pedal, otherwise.

6. Yeah, I like the room you get when you play in a three piece band (instruments) I actually like the challange that void creates. I think distortion can be pretty useful, especiall a really thick, saturated one.

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Exactly. It also gives you more flexibilty, having to worry about one or two (voice?) melody instruments and drums.

8. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    i decided to go with a sans amp bass DI,after asking around and talking to other bass players in same situation this is the way to go to fatten up sound.. use my bass rig for stage and run the sans amp thru to PA... thanx for replies...