1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what to use for a monitor

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gary mitchell, Apr 29, 2009.

1. hey guys my band is wanting to cut down on carrying equipment,so here pretty soon iam going to be using a tech 21 sansamp bass di tru the PA but i want a monitor are a speaker behind me. to me if you do this why not use a amp. ive never done this have any of you done this and if you have how do you do it. were a 3 man band not a super big PA but we use a power amp rated at 2400 watts and peavey speakers with 15in black widows out front. we have 12s for monitor for the lead singer which is the lead guitarist,and i use his monitor and a 12 for the drummer and my amp which was a swr set by him so he could hear me. but i guess that will change does anyone know what iam talking about.:help:

2. If you are going to play ampless... you definitely need your own monitor, a good one.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would at least get a small amp as a monitor. You're going to hate life listening to your bass in monitors. Monitors make bass sound like a banjo IMHO. A little 50 watter in a monitor-style bass cab would probably be all you'd need to be small, not too loud, and sound like a bass.

I give you about 2 gigs before you use the amps again, though ;) I'm not saying this to sound like a snob, but it takes a pretty good PA with a strong sub to pull off ampless.

4. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    I notice you dont mention subs in the description of your PA system.

On the monitor side of things, unless you're looking for really really nice and the associated $$$$ that come with them, it's not worth doing. My two all-time faves are the Martin LE400 and the d&b M2 (although that requires the proprietry dsp amp).

On an 'I'm paying' budget, Id use any old crappy monitor for the guitars and vocals and have a small combo behind me for the bass.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Ampeg made a bass monitor, BXT 210M I think. 4 ohns, but I'd agree, without some serious PA subs, you'll want your amp back soon.

6. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Our band has gone almost completely ampless, except for me. Actually, I have refused. We do have good PA gear including Mackie powered subs, but our monitors make bass sound terrible.

Not only that, but your sound guys can easily change your tone from what you want, into what they want. Our sound guys are stuck on this "bass guitar should be low and boomy and blend with the kick drum" mentality. I use a 4003 and highly articulate GB stuff, and want (need) my tone to be punchy and clean. If left completely to the sound guys, my tone would come out as mud. Without your own amp, you are at their mercy.

7. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Try a SWR Bass monitor. Usually pick them up pretty inexpensive.
    Or try something of a kickback amp _ Ampeg makes one, so did Ashdown as well.
    I personall y use a SWR Bass monitor and put that back by my drummers. It works out great because then we never need bass support through the monitors.

8. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I'm lining up with Jimmy here in the common sense camp. You need FOH subs BEFORE you go down this road...

9. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    It doesn't sound like you guys are really carrying that much equipment now...best way to take it the next step further is only play places that provide PA and lighting, but seriously, your load seems pretty light to me (no crossover, EQs, subs, sub amps, sharing monitors now, etc) Going ampless means you need another off stage amp, and at least one big monitor for you. Subs too since your rig extends deeper than those Peavey's and most monitors. I think you guys probably are about as light as you are going to get.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    what he said..

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA

Unless you are overpowering an entire PA, you are still at their mercy. You can make "your tone" as clean and mid-punchy as you want. If they want it boomy, they can do it with any decent board+EQ.

For the OP though, there is NO WAY those two Peavey 15's (I would guaess SP-2's) can handle bass and sound any good whatsoever. If that is all they have, go back to taking as much bass gear as you can. Even in small rooms, a couple of full-range "speakers on a stick" just won't do it for bass.

12. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    I've tried this. It lasted for about a month and I couldn't stand it. The problem for me was that my volume was either way too loud and I couldn't hear anyone else or it was way too low and I couldn't hear myself. I was at the sound guys mercy as some one else said.

If I were you I would buy a small combo amp and use it as a monitor. Such as one of those little markbass combos.

I went back to a full size rig only because I can't afford a smaller one right now.

good luck

13. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Except for jazz gigs, I always have PA support and go DI. I also always bring my Shuttle combo along. It's my DI and my monitor. It's all I need to hear myself. I run it in front of me facing back (like a monitor wedge) or as a "side-fill" for me and the rest of the band.

I am fortunate to play in a band where everyone understands balance, stage volume, monitoring and FOH. All are related but unique.