Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What to use for Finger lube? Like Jaco's infamous greasy Fried Chicken fingers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The Clap, Apr 28, 2005.

1. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    So I've heard the story of Jaco eating fried chicken before gigs to get his fingers all up and greasy for the funk to come. But I don't eat a lot of fried chicken, and I'm curious what you all would suggest as a good on-hand alternative. I dont' mind getting my strings a little gunky, I can't stand 'em spot clean anyhow, so vegetable oil and the like aren't out of the question.

Does anyone have any experience with an easy-to-get-ahold-of form of finger lube for the plucking hand?

P.S. You can get an ART "Tube Pac" dual tube mic preamp + compressor from zzounds.com right now for $99 with free shipping. I just got mine, and the unit is AMAZINGLY SOLID AND SWEET, and even overdrives nicely. You can't go wrong at this price, so do some research on it if you're looking for a pre or compressor/limiter

2. jadesmar

jadesmar

Feb 17, 2003
    Ottawa, ON
    Saliva is the most popular lubricant for almost everything (possibly due to the price).

3. Vaseline might work.

Or a visit to your local adult store :p

4. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    90W gear oil, axle grease, or mayonnaise.

Slug

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Greasy fingers won't do anything for your playing. Your strings will go dead quicker, though.

6. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    In my case, I'm playing with flatwounds, and not concerned about them going dead. I really don't like the sound of new roundwound strings though, so that's just my tonal preference.

I worked with a guitarist who swore by some solution specifically designed for this purpose. The brand was called 'fret ease' or something to that effect, and while I wouldn't really want to spend money on something like that, if anyone's tried it, I'd like to hear about it.

7. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    I use Fast Fret .. works for me.

Alan

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Fast Fret or Fingerease should be available at most music stores.

Nose grease works too.

9. How about some K.Y.? Or better yet, some K.Y. warming liquid! It will make your fingers warm, tingly and well lubed. It's water based and chicks will think you are a stud.
    lol

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, in another thread I talked about washing my hands between every set. This makes the strings last longer, but has its drawbacks. For instance, one time I did this big up and down glissando on my E-string, and the tip of my finger got so hot it caught on fire. So I yelled "GOSH DARN IT!" right in the middle of the song. Boy, that went over like a concrete kite.

11. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

S'what I use, cheap and I've got plenty of it.

12. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Wiping the strings with a little WD-40 seems to work. I usually use Fast-Fret, though.

Oh man, I really want some fried chicken now. :p

13. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    another thing an old upright player told me was nose grease. if you rub your finger on the outside of your nostril right where it meets your cheek you can get some "essential oil" from there. I tried it a few times when i was starting to blister up and it works great. And there always seems to be a supply. Remember though it's the OUTSIDE of the nostril, inside is just gross.

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    That's what she said... huh huh huh huh huh...

15. Be careful where you store it when not in use. You don't want your tube of KY jelly falling out of our pocket mid-set; might be kind of tough to explain. :D

16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    In certain venues that might go over really well! :hyper:

17. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    Nose grease. Strings won't cling to your fingers, but they also won't slip too much. Plus rubbing your nose during a gig is much more discreet and easier than getting something out of your gig bag... my guitar player carries a stuff called 'string lubricant' wich you spray on the strings about five minutes before starting, and it
    works well too... but nose grease is the best :)

I make a point of not washing my face where the nostrils meet the cheeks if I'm having a morning rehearsal. :D

18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hmmm...I never found the need for anything like a lubricant. I'm surprised so many people use them. Instead of rough callouses forming on my fingertips, they just became smooth, thick pads of skin, so they're plenty slick already.

19. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY

Nose grease all the way! Thats how I do it. And if I'm out, ear grease. In the area where the back of your ear meets your head (ear crotch), lots of grease there. If you don't shower much this becomes even easier. Go ahead, get your strings dirty; the dirt holds in the funk!

20. I was thinking the exact same thing. Been way too long.