1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What to use for power with a Navigator

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by schmittuml, Apr 26, 2006.

1. schmittuml

schmittuml

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    What wouldyou use to power cabs up with an eden navigator? i am wondering if a Crest CA-9 is gonna sound different then the Eden Power Amps...... am I dumb for asking?

Powering various cabs. nothing too power hungry.

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've used a QSC PLX 3002 and previously a Carvin DCM2000 with the Nav. Both sounded essentially the same. Unless you are one of those "extreme nuance" people, any quality power amp with sufficient power reserves will do just fine.

3. Apparently QSC poweramps+nav shows very little difference from a normal tube-pre eden head

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I use a qsc/plx1602.
    Some folks claim that "lead sled" design power amps sound better-more low end, etc.
    I don't find mine lacking, but there's plenty of power amp discussion here.
    The Eden power amp is supposed to be quite nice also, and has some additional eq built into it. If I hadn't already had the qsc on hand, that probably would have been my choice.

5. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    WT-1000
    WT-1250
    WT-1550

6. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    WT-1000 and CA9 are both great choices, and do sound quite different. I have both, but tend to use the Eden.

What cabs are you using? If you've got botique type cabs you'll probably prefer the crest, if you've got Eden or SWR speakers you'll prefer the eden. Or at least thats the way I hear it.

The Eden is also about half the weight of the CA.